Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD authoring software.

惡魔的提倡者
    I'm looking for a decent free (not cracked) easy to use, full function, DVD authoring program pretty similar to windows DVD maker.

I used to use windows DVD maker which is IMO fantastic for my needs, however the program stopped functioning a while back and the consensus is that it was caused by codecs from other sources and fixing it requires a system restore that I don't wish to do.

At the moment I'm using roxio creator and it blows donkeys.

The ability to make a DVD without menus would be a plus.

Any reviews of programs you've used would be much appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    if you really don't want to pay for nero, roxy is problaby one of your only options. You should really think about paying for software, as you get what you pay for. Roxy does blow, but it come free with a lot of packages. maybe try this: InfraRecorder...haven't used it, but heard good reviews.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    惡魔的提倡者
    Infrarecorder isn't really what I'm looking for, but thanks anyway.

The limited use I would make of the extra functions of the commercial programs wouldn't justify the cost.

What I am doing is transferring family video onto the computer, editing it with movie maker and then making DVD's from various clips. So I want menus and others I don't. Windows DVD maker had great menus.

I can still burn DVD's, just prefer a certain type of software.
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 08-22-2010 at 07:57 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    are you familiar with editing programs that you can actually just create the entire file, then just burn it? MAybe in like flash or in other programs

did you change operating systems? where the movie maker could've stopped working? I was just looking around, and maybe the service pack update?
    Last edited by bigdogg2020; 08-22-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogg2020 View Post
    are you familiar with editing programs that you can actually just create the entire file, then just burn it? MAybe in like flash or in other programs
    I already do that for discs where I don't want a menu
    did you change operating systems? where the movie maker could've stopped working? I was just looking around, and maybe the service pack update?
    Windows DVD maker came with the OS (vista). I can import photo and video files into it, either from files or directly from movie maker. The problem happens when I get to the select menu stage, I get the stopped working and needs to be closed down error message. Almost every question about this problem pins down to outside codecs and simply removing the codecs doesn't solve it. The only solution offered (and it's offered everywhere) is to factory restore the system and I REALLY don't want to do that.

There may well be a solution but so far I have been unable to find it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    Why not try another program?
    Here is a list of free video editing software similar to Win DVD maker with reviews. Not sure if that will help.
    http://www.isoftwarereviews.com/free...ware-programs/

Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogg2020 View Post
    I already do that for discs where I don't want a menu
    Windows DVD maker came with the OS (vista). I can import photo and video files into it, either from files or directly from movie maker. The problem happens when I get to the select menu stage, I get the stopped working and needs to be closed down error message. Almost every question about this problem pins down to outside codecs and simply removing the codecs doesn't solve it. The only solution offered (and it's offered everywhere) is to factory restore the system and I REALLY don't want to do that.

There may well be a solution but so far I have been unable to find it.
    Did you uninstall Windows DVD maker and then reinstall it?
    Last edited by pone44; 08-22-2010 at 09:42 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    DVDFlick
    Free.Easy.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggyjuarez View Post
    DVDFlick
    Free.Easy.
    Couldn't agree more, so simple to use and so quick.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggyjuarez View Post
    DVDFlick
    Free.Easy.
    Downloaded and took a quick look, will try it out fully later. Seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for. I appreciate the tip

thanks.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Look here in the answer right beneath the intial question:
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...dvd-maker.html
    Near the end of the page its mentioned they cannot rename the file you can try using unlocker ro do what they did go into safe mode to do it.

.ax files are parts of codecs that sometimes get left behind when unistalling, because their locked from corruption. If the freeware Unlocker can't unlock them, then use safe mode where only a few drivers and services get installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast