Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Four-Inch PC

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Hey, I know it's pricey, but a wise "clock maker" one said if you want to play you gotta pay. Hell I'm not working right now but when I get back to work I just may get this for the cool factor of it. I love the design of it and like Mega said I'm sure this is a next gen thing with other companies sure to follow suit. we'll see.

Something I am unclear on is the Xm3dia

It says on the page:
    Xm3dia (x media) is an exciting new technology exclusive to the Xi3 architecture – a powerful, feature-rich, bus system designed for limitless expansion and feature additions to Xi3-based Modular Computer."

I can't find any info on this at all and have never heard of anything else running on this type of bus so what good could it be??

Also great site Ilovenzb they had an article a while back on an "old fashioned" PC I thought was cool.

Another great pic
    Last edited by Detale; 11-23-2010 at 02:48 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    the price is quite much high... i don't know how can i use it but i want one

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Hey, I know it's pricey, but a wise "clock maker" one said if you want to play you gotta pay. Hell I'm not working right now but when I get back to work I just may get this for the cool factor of it. I love the design of it and like Mega said I'm sure this is a next gen thing with other companies sure to follow suit. we'll see.

Something I am unclear on is the Xm3dia

It says on the page:
    Xm3dia (x media) is an exciting new technology exclusive to the Xi3 architecture – a powerful, feature-rich, bus system designed for limitless expansion and feature additions to Xi3-based Modular Computer."

I can't find any info on this at all and have never heard of anything else running on this type of bus so what good could it be??
    I think that the point is that you buy xm3dia modules (sold by Xi3) which add expansions to the device, for example to add SATA ports, USB ports, etc. since you can't add any expansion cards inside of it. Think of it like an external PCIx slot.
    I'd be interested to see the specs of it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I don't expect that port to last long. If I understand correctly, that is their "Apple-ish" way of getting people to spend more on their external devices. Blech.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Right,but what good is that? Don't these companies get that the consumers don't want a new interface that's comparable with NOTHING else on the market yet. They'd be better off putting a parallel port and I could hook up my old dot matrix printer like.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    They claim to be modular, yet they offer only one linux against 8 different windows versions.

Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Why can't you install a windows based os on it? Or do they mean the drive isnt available if you purchase a windows os from them?
    Because its a Flash Drive and windows doesn't like to be booted from flash drives. Some of the pirated editions support flash boot.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Also by modular I believe they mean interchangeable parts not the different Os's

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    I just read their about page and I think you are right about the parts.

Still, I didn't knew I need their special patented technology to "change" my PC parts. This seems like what they are implying.
    In terms of modularity my PC which have 8 parts and lots of beats the shit out of that cube which only have 3 changeble parts. It looks awesome and it definitely something I would buy like to buy and idea is nice. But, I find it funny that they claim to be the future of computing with their few generations old hardware. And its way too expensive, you can easily build a similar box PC from mini-itx atom boards for a lower price. Since any time a component dies, I will be replacing 3/1 of the hardware, and that hardware will be only sold by one company, it will be even more expensive.

Concept is great but not a revolution, just an inevitable milestone.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    n00b
    Measuring less than 4-inches per side, powered by dual core processors, yet requiring less than 20 Watts to operate, the Xi3 Modular computer is a small cube-like computer that is (as its name suggests) completely modular in nature. The Xi3 Modular Computer is supported by six issued U.S. patents and utilizes the Xi3 computer architecture which divides the classic motherboard into three separate boards:

* One board that houses the processors and RAM, and
    * Two additional I/O boards to handle all connectivity and input/output requirements.

WOW!!!! Really! 4-inch?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by andrenievo View Post
    WOW!!!! Really! 4-inch?
    Is that what she said

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast