Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why do you use linux?

isabellajames
    It's secure. Or because it's free, because it's customizable, because it's free (the other meaning), because it has excellent community support...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ..because I don't like to be used by Windows! ..Except for today, coincidentally!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Il_Professore's Avatar InSaNe_CloWn
    Less memory,awesome in terms of stability and is more important it doesnt make u lazy like windows,there is always smth to learn.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Il_Professore View Post
    Less memory,awesome in terms of stability and is more important it doesnt make u lazy like windows,there is always smth to learn.
    Yes, because something won't work to keep you busy always.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35

Icon3

i use it because it's real time operating system it provide the freedom and fastest service.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    I use it mainly because I support GNU free software philosophy. I also use it because I hate Microsoft, and because the GNU development environment is the best you'll ever find. (programming NASM assembly on Linux and interacting with the kernel is much easier than on Windows).

But I would never say that you don't have to mess up with drivers. Most devices don't have a driver on linux, only a more general open source driver. Sometimes you need to program your own drivers.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    there 2 reasons to use linux :
    > like lot of people : the concept of Open-data/Open-source philosophy.
    > and there are the most efficient tools of all OS. if you begin to work really on the network, you must use a linux distribution.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    but there is also the added bonus that you can use MythTV as a backend for a TV card under Linux which of course you cannot under Windows, thus adding live TV to XBMC.
    MythTV is actually a great application, and I use MythTV's backend/frontend combination (on FreeBSD) for watching live TV, Blu-rays, and other stuff. I don't use XBMC. MPlayer is also good for watching videos.
    I love FST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    i do not use linux because i don't like it and its very complicated ...not user friendly like windows xp....

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I will say something that it will annoy most linux fanboys , but most the linux users use them just to brag of it . "I use linux which is hard , and geekish , therefore i feel nice with myself"

This is not general , but most of them use it for this reason . I use them on my old pc , because they ran just with 60 mb of ram (archlinux + openbox) , i do believe that linux will get great in the future if they manage to add more game support .

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast