Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody here cook?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    In the oven.
    What's your dough recipe?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Lounge   -   #32
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    You'll actually be surprised that there's hardly anything to pizza dough. The important factor is percentage of yeast and prooving. Flour, deepening on how much iron is in it, absorbs different ratios of water, meaning that you'll never have a constant formula for your dough.

I was talking to a CEO for a flour mill the other day about why there was a huge increase in flour before New Years. He said it's because they didn't have a good crop this year because of the floods so they had to mix 2 part good grain to 1 part shit grain. Other mills are either charging more for their flour or giving shit quality flour to their customers.

I usually get the extra dough left over after work for pizza. By the time I get it home it's rested/proved perfectly and I just need to stretch it to a tray and add my toppings.

After the amount of dough I use a day it's almost second nature the proving, resting and mixing. It's gotten to the point where I expect the apprentices to know what they're doing and have to remind myself that they're only new to the trade.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

3. Lounge   -   #33
    So NZB, you're a baker?
    BTW, it's called "proofing".

I've been into baking for a while now, it's especially challenging here at altitude and the very dry climate.
    I've been perfecting my French bread recipe/technique, this morning I'm making yeasted pancakes (made the "sponge" last night).

Next Saturday I'm making pizza, so I've been looking into recipes for that.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    MaxxRevs's Avatar n00b
    You should have set it to cook for longer on a lower temperature. Lol...how noob do you have to be to not know how to make pizza

5. Lounge   -   #35
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    In the oven.
    What's your dough recipe?
    It's far from a great recipe, but a start at least.

I put one cup flour into a bowl, I add one package of quick rising yeast (not sure how much is in it probably about a tablespoon), add a small amount of salt, sugar, and oil, then add 1 cup warm water, mix until it's all smooth then add another cup of flour and mix that until the dough starts to seperate from the bowl.
    I then dump the dough onto a floured cutting board and "kneed" it for a while, then stretch it and let that stand for 10 minutes before putting the toppings on.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    WTF, can't you just order pizzas on the phone in Canaidia?
    I'm sick of most of them. Dominoes is disgusting. Pizza Pizza is inconsistent, either undercooked or burnt. Gino's is owned by assholes. The rest are crap as well. I live in a small town...
    Give Papa Murphy's a go if there's one in your town. It's take-and-bake, so if you happen to get dinged provincially by the HST it's not applicable.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. Lounge   -   #37
    I've found that dough recipes you make ahead develop more flavor.
    Ditch the "instant" yeast and mix it up the night before...I forget the French word but's called a "long rise".
    Store in the fridge overnight, punch it down the next morning and stretch it a bit, then let it rise the rest of the day.
    Before dinner, take it out and knead into shape and you're good to go.

The dough will have a better flavor and cooked on a stone, should give you the results you're looking for.

Or get Papa Murphy's.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I say do what you want, or do something else.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I've found that dough recipes you make ahead develop more flavor.
    Ditch the "instant" yeast and mix it up the night before...I forget the French word but's called a "long rise".
    Store in the fridge overnight, punch it down the next morning and stretch it a bit, then let it rise the rest of the day.
    Before dinner, take it out and knead into shape and you're good to go.

The dough will have a better flavor and cooked on a stone, should give you the results you're looking for.

Or get Papa Murphy's.
    My pizza making is not premeditated.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    I'm sick of most of them. Dominoes is disgusting. Pizza Pizza is inconsistent, either undercooked or burnt. Gino's is owned by assholes. The rest are crap as well. I live in a small town...
    Give Papa Murphy's a go if there's one in your town. It's take-and-bake, so if you happen to get dinged provincially by the HST it's not applicable.

The closest is Ohio.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast