Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: yet another new tracker, sort of

PerMaFrOsT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Quote Originally Posted by TONiC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PerMaFrOsT View Post
    Probably this services would get more users if you host the files in offshore servers
    I love how people comment saying "use offshore servers", obviously being clueless as to how poor a network all offshore/tax free jurisdictions (usually one and the same) have, and in turn the high cost of bandwidth and very sh*t peering.

Trust me, if hosting companies, like LeaseWeb (NL), in Europe can't even provide decent speeds to the US, then what chance does the Cayman Islands have?
    If you donīt know Offshore servers inside USA isnīt my problem bro! You just have to know the right providers... Also is easy to find good EU DCs with decent connectivity to USA but you might need a good budget
    Last edited by PerMaFrOsT; 01-07-2011 at 08:33 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    I'm good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PerMaFrOsT View Post
    If you donīt know Offshore servers inside USA isnīt my problem bro! You just have to know the right providers... Also is easy to find good EU DCs with decent connectivity to USA but you might need a good budget
    >>Offshore servers inside USA

Unless there's a hosting company called Offshore Hosting LTD within the USA, I think you need to re-evaluate your definition of offshore.

Agreed. The more you pay, the better service you're gunna get. But you'll be paying out the wazoo to host a server on some island, simply because the majority don't have the infrastructure to provide fast and competitively priced bandwidth.

(LeaseWeb use Evoswitch's DC, supposed to be one of the fastest in Europe, and even then I still read complaints about EU<-> USA speeds.)

If FlashSeed get's big, then it's gunna be very bandwidth intensive. As companies only aim to minimise cost, I guess that'll mean OVH :/
    Last edited by TONiC; 01-07-2011 at 09:24 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    PerMaFrOsT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I think the problem is that they distribute the files using BitTorrent technologie but seems to be a filehosting, so yeah, they will have problems in near future if they have exit and "allow" movies, music & other stuff

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    yeah, the legal market may be a bit niche in the file sharing world, but I have hope! Maybe I'm just a bit naive

anyways, think of it as rapidshare/megaupload with torrents. It's completely within the DMCA, and I'll just pull any files when I get a notice. If it ever gets big I might have to consult a lawyer, but for now enjoy the free bandwidth!

if you're sharing a movie or show with a few friends within fair use, I say it's fair game. The system is setup to be semi-private, so only people you give the url to will be able to download the torrent.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    direct downloads are really convenient for certain things, like streaming a video or if you're at work/school and can't use bittorrent. I might setup more ways to "spend" points if it proves to be not enough of an incentive.

oh, and bandwidth is really cheap nowadays. Disk space is what's expensive. That's why we don't host the files indefinitely (which would be great actually, to prevent dead torrents and situations where 100 people have 90% of the file.)
    Last edited by Jack000; 01-07-2011 at 11:16 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    GreenTea's Avatar 99.9% SHY BT Rep: +2
    I'm not sure how this will work, but yeah.. Good Luck!
    I just can't imagine what kind of legal files will be hosted;
    it might turnout to be a site where freewares and sharewares are offered/listed.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    ScottK's Avatar Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    We starting? lol
    We just need Scott in here
    why me?

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
    why me?
    Because you and me are teh master thread spammers here.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Waddafocky's Avatar dvd BT Rep: +1
    You should title this thread differently if you want more response. You need aspiration. As of now, "yet another new tracker" doesn't sound exclusive or secret or rare enough. You should at least do something like "SCT REBORN? SUPER MEGA SECRET EXCLUSIVE TRACKER FSC LOL" That will at least elicit some response.

Also, I like the idea and good luck, but make sure you have rapidshare's legal resources if you're considering expanding, or ever get to that stage. And I'm guessing you have the finance down if you're trying to pull off a project like this.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    yeah, the cartman marketing strategy. I like that.

There was another site a while back that did something similar, it was called vipeers and they gave out "beta invites" for their upload service. I'm not sure why they quit, probably massive bandwidth bills since they were using amazon s3..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast