Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Now idling in #sdbits.support channel, trying to get my account re-enabled

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    How so ? In this case not a question of whether the rules are good or bad or whether that the staffer could have shown more leniency but rather your friend (apparently according to you ) knowingly lied in an attempt to get you back in the place .

Actually harshness aside the staffer would be more morally ambiguous if he/she set aside the obligation to enforce the stated rules as an administrator of that site .
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    your friend (apparently according to you ) knowingly lied in an attempt to get you back in the place .
    I totally see your point, but what happened to me left me confused. I am still confused about what is right and what is wrong on the internet or in real life.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Waddafocky's Avatar dvd BT Rep: +1
    Morals say bad to lie, good to steal. Cool story bro.

Also, easy answer: right and wrong in real life = right and wrong on the internet, what makes you think otherwise?
    Last edited by Waddafocky; 01-16-2011 at 04:38 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarkial View Post
    Morals say bad to lie, good to steal. Cool story bro.

Also, easy answer: right and wrong in real life = right and wrong on the internet, what makes you think otherwise?
    The internet piracy may be illegal or quasi-legal, but it doesn't mean that it's immoral. And, yes, I agree with your second statement: right and wrong in real life = right and wrong on the internet.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL View Post
    The internet piracy may be illegal or quasi-legal, but it doesn't mean that it's immoral. And, yes, I agree with your second statement: right and wrong in real life = right and wrong on the internet.
    *Intr4ns1t puts on his devil horns for a moment

Is it immoral to take food off the table of the people who create the media you consume? Because theoretically, that's what you're doing. Morals are relative OlegL, and entirely based on your local customs/religions/philosophies, so your confusion is understandable. This does not mean that your excuse for why you steal is better than the media creators excuse for calling it theft.
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    So what's the confusion? How can banning be immoral? Is it immoral to tell the guy who's pissing in my yard to get the fuck out? Or even random dudes just walking on my lawn? If you're talking immoral in the sense that this implies properties rights and that we all own the land under God's name, maybe we can find some common ground, but I have a feeling that's not what you're talking about.

EDIT: I don't disagree with you a lot Intransit, but I highly doubt that we're taking meals off anyone's tables when we pirate Hollywood movies. We might be making a dent in the profits, but I don't think any movie made less than its budget because a bunch of kids with computers and R33T trackers torrented the movie. To say that I'm stealing something and to say that I'm starving someone are two different things.

I would urge everyone to buy small-time stuff or at least spread the word to people who are more principled/have more money/are less of a cheap-ass than you are. The above thing still applies (stealing != starving) especially with digital products, but it really helps when you're talking small business.
    Last edited by Waddafocky; 01-16-2011 at 05:27 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    So what's the confusion? How can banning be immoral? Is it immoral to tell the guy who's pissing in my yard to get the fuck out? Or even random dudes just walking on my lawn? If you're talking immoral in the sense that this implies properties rights and that we all own the land under God's name, maybe we can find some common ground, but I have a feeling that's not what you're talking about.

EDIT: I don't disagree with you a lot Intransit, but I highly doubt that we're taking meals off anyone's tables when we pirate Hollywood movies. We might be making a dent in the profits, but I don't think any movie made less than its budget because a bunch of kids with computers and R33T trackers torrented the movie. To say that I'm stealing something and to say that I'm starving someone are two different things.

I would urge everyone to buy small-time stuff or at least spread the word to people who are more principled/have more money/are less of a cheap-ass than you are. The above thing still applies (stealing != starving) especially with digital products, but it really helps when you're talking small business.
    I was playing "devil's advocate", hence the first part of my post.
    Think 9 is the new 10.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Arharhar I missed that sorry.

In that case I am playing God's advocate.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Arharhar I missed that sorry.

In that case I am playing God's advocate.
    Soooooo, you wanna fight then?
    Think 9 is the new 10.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Let's do this Angels and Demons v2

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast