Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "100% Completion" - You've got some nerve, Giganews!

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I think the real question is why anyone would pay 25-30 dollars (and potentially even $35 soon) for the same service that can be had elsewhere at a third of the cost. Even if Giganews had completion rates well above and beyond that of other providers (which it doesn't), an Astraweb account + Blocknews backup would function far better at a fraction of the price.

And claiming to have a 100% completion rate is just absurd. Its as if a soap company claimed that their product removed 100% of harmful pathogens, or if a display manufacturer claimed that their monitor had 180 degree viewing angles. It just doesn't happen, and to claim otherwise is clearly false advertising.
    Last edited by Rart; 01-21-2011 at 06:41 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i assume beck38 tried to set you folks straight with his reply.

i didn't read it, nor did i read the majority of the posts in this thread. (no offense)

no need.

read this:

"100% Completion Unlike low-end Usenet providers, Giganews features multiple copies of every article and full speed across all retention."

this seems to be a case of word-play...the marketing dept. gone wild.

notice they *don't* say " Unlike low-end Usenet providers, Giganews features multiple copies of every article {{{ON OUR SERVERS}}} and full speed across all retention."

of course they have 100% completion.......... of what they have.

they just fail to mention what they don't.

har har har
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    More or less clever marketing. 100% of posts that the communist (Giganews) approve.

It's like Coles marketing slogan No added beef hormones. The farmer adds the hormones when the cattle are bred. I know for a fact that Chickens grown in Australia don't have growth hormones, they banned that a long time ago. Just the hillbilly, tree-hugging hippies regurgitating old facts; propaganda.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post

WTF are you going on about? I've used GN for around 4 years and have never had problems. My completion rate essentially 100% on everything I download. Every time. What are you unable to download?
    Try downloading HBO shows over 100 days old. Try the first episode of "Boardwalk Empire" which is a little over 100 days.
    I just downloaded Boardwalk Empire S01E01 720p HDTV x264-IMMERSE. It was missing one part but with the PAR2 files being there, Newsleecher doesn't skip a beat. It downloads, repairs, and extracts automatically. Unless you're using an ultra-basic client like sabznzb which doesn't auto-repair (i think), then what's the problem?

yo

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

Try downloading HBO shows over 100 days old. Try the first episode of "Boardwalk Empire" which is a little over 100 days.
    I just downloaded Boardwalk Empire S01E01 720p HDTV x264-IMMERSE. It was missing one part but with the PAR2 files being there, Newsleecher doesn't skip a beat. It downloads, repairs, and extracts automatically. Unless you're using an ultra-basic client like sabznzb which doesn't auto-repair (i think), then what's the problem?
    LOL @ ultra-basic and re-LOL and the lack of knowledge about it. sabnzbd has been repairing NZB sets for as far as I can remember.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Cabalo
    yeah...hear,hear *speechless* well, it speaks for itself lol

Did you notice how the screenshots posted by me that show the real deal you get with giganews & K are ignored ?

The truth hurts

It was missing one part
    dude, lol
    The files were posted 124 day(s) ago.
    Parts checked: 6803
    Undownloadable parts: 108
    1,59% of the data can't be downloaded!
    and u got lucky that it hasnt been completely removed and u had enough par2.
    Sometimes its not enough

Newsleecher doesn't skip a beat. It downloads, repairs, and extracts automatically
    newsleecher or any other newsclient cant repair this one automatically lol. because they usually pause all par2 sets except for the very small one which is used to monitor download. In this case NL(unless you have enabled in the options to download all par2 files which i doubt ) couldnt start automatically repairing since there wasnt really anything in the repair and extract window to begin with(the small par2 file is completely "killed")
    ps ive just checked it out

but i guess that is what u get for paying 30+ bucks a month.
    Premium service doomed to constant repairing until it fails one day or cant repair anything because there is literally nothing to repair.
    Last edited by Hypatia; 01-21-2011 at 10:11 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    sabnzbd has been repairing NZB sets for as far as I can remember.
    Well, I did say, "I think", and it was only created something like 4 years ago so I guess your memory doesn't go back that far.

@hypatia - Yes, I do have the option enabled to download PARs if any parts are missing, so yes, it does extract.
    Last edited by Skiz; 01-21-2011 at 10:20 PM.

yo

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Skiz
    I see,i didnt think about it, my bad.. yet still

ive just downloaded this s01e01 immerse release with all the PAR2 files via news-europe.giganews.com

And guess what? It CANT be repaired.

Proof:

so i have no idea how u managed to get it repaired,really
    Last edited by Hypatia; 01-21-2011 at 10:47 PM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    If it means anything I get some incomplete posts with Astraweb.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    If it means anything I get some incomplete posts with Astraweb.
    Incomplete posts (things you posted to Astraweb show up as incomplete on Astraweb), or retrievals/downloads show up incomplete on Astraweb.

There are 3 places (or more) where incompletes can happen, in the upload transmission (uploading s/w or transmission), the actual server, or in the download transmission (again, the actual transmission or the receive s/w). Up to a few months ago, when I was using either PowerPost or one of the 'variants' (either 16+ thread types or Camelsystem), I would be posting at server 'A' and watching both the reception on that sever as well as the propagation out to 2 or 3 of the major servers, figuring of course that if they got there 'okay' that the minor servers 'could' get it as well.

It was rare, but did happen, where the PowerPost would 'hiccup' a bit and generate some error or another where the receiving server would get a block error, and that error would be propagated. Maybe once per 10GB or thereabouts. Easily fixable with a few pars. This was with small file sizes (DVD5/9) and slow speeds.

When I transitioned to BD25/50+ sizes (at 10 times the speed), I did several tests with the PowerPost 'variants', and quickly came the the conclusion that although they did kinda work, that some better posting program that at least checked the upload (and self corrected) on a block level was needed; enter JBinUp.

It's got it's small problems, but in running well over 2.5TB through it (after figuring out which usenet server it worked best with, at least for me and my internet location and that server), I've had one (manually correctable) 'posting' block error. In watching the logs, the program gets a fair number of transmission or posting errors it does 'fix' automatically (around 1 per 10GB). A tweak of the JBinUp settings would probably have eliminated even that one I had to do manually, (or gotten the auto-system to do it automatically). But I've left the settings 'as is' and continue to run full bore with the standard settings.

Of course, the only way to get postings even better would be to do a bit checking system, but that would mean actually downloading at the same time one is uploading, and that may (or may not) be totally feasible; block checking seems to be okay, particularly against programs that don't do any checking (the old PowerPost's).

Now, in over three months, I've gotten one (1) block (in that 2.5TB) that failed to propagate from the posting server to the other major's. Pretty **** good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast