Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Tips To New Torrent Users?

gamesover's Avatar Panda BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddydude View Post
    Here are some tips.
    2. Don't use the same user name twice
    Worst advice ever. If you have different usernames at all your trackers people could easily assume your an account trader. When someone trades for an account they don't get to choose the username they have at the tracker, so someone who trades lots of account will have all kinds of crazy usernames that don't relate to each other at all. On the other hand, if you have the same username at your trackers the worst that could mean is your trading invites. For the reason I stated it's literally impossible to be an account trader if you use the same username everywhere.

Unless you have all the trackers you need and don't need to bother searching for any invites, which wouldn't apply to new torrent users, having a name people recognize and trust helps a great deal.

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    Bionic's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by gamesover View Post
    Here are some tips.
    2. Don't use the same user name twice
    ...having a name people recognize and trust helps a great deal.
    Learn people..
    Twitter: @alhassoni
    Stay tuned. I could say something brilliant at any moment.

DL Speed: 1MBps | UL Speed: 228KBps

Speaks: English, Arabic, German, Tagalog(Filipino), Spanish and Chinese

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Agreed. I have the same nick everywhere, including here (minus the underscore) and I've yet to run into any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    also 5 and 10 how are you supposed to make friends if you never go to the forums/irc?

I really dont see why new members shouldnt come to forums/IRC though, especially if they have questions (regarding anything not just BT/tracker related), just because someone posts a lot, or comes into IRC it doesnt mean they are "sucking up" to the staff, and most owners have been in this long enough to tell the genuine members to the sucky uperers (the sucky uperers will never get a staff position on my tracker anyway), but if you know what the hell you are talking about on a certain subject and you help members out, one may very well come your way (a staff position that is).
    People don't go to IRC because it's an overly-complicated for the neophyte ?
    As for forums I can't really comment on BCG not being active there but most give up in frustration either out of general lack of activity or subjects being largely about things they have little interest in. I know despite best intentions that I've beaten my head against the wall in both regards at a couple places.

As for being staff, no disrespect intended but seriously who in their right mind wants to be that?

One comment on the "making friends " part .You can set out to be friendly but you can't tick in your diary "Today I will make friends "
    You either make friends naturally or you don't .Anything premeditated transforms the process into something else entirely and I don't think the word for it is very nice.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Here are some tips. modified by bijoy

There are 2 types of users.. So, there will be 2 cases..

Case 1: (for good users)
    1. Use a seperate gmail account for all of your tracker invites (not your personal one) Comment: This is optional/half true. If you are registering in any well known/old tracker then use your preferred email. Use a saperate email ID while joining any new tracker which just come into the picture. So, 2 e-mail IDs are good.

2. Don't use the same user name twice Comment: ALWAYS use same username. Btw what's in the name?

3. Learn Bittorrent, how to upload and SEED.

4. Don't cheat/trade.

5. Don't hang out in IRC or post much in forums Comment: Post in forums, when you need some serious info. now-a-days I can see irc become nothing more than a place to troll & ass licking. P.S. I don't know anything about bcg irc.. Never been there..

6. Always read the rules and FAQ

7. Do not download large packs first Comment: If they are freeleech then grab them if the seeder: leecher <= 4:5 (at least) <--- refer to snatchlist for more details like peer speeds, it is most imp, as it tells you the difference between active peers & partial snatchers.

8. Beware of the hot torrents

9. Respect the staff Do not respect, but behave politely with very few staffs, specially the veterans (generally, admin & sysops) of some old trackers..
    Addition: always avoid mods, most of the cases they some some new 'active' members who got teh promotion.. Look their id number in the site to be sure.. If the id is less then its good, otherwise just avoid them those kids.

10. Make friends <-- this not really helps except for accidentally making friendship with someone who is hdbits vip *peace*...

Case 2: for other users who don't love to be a good user.

1. Use a seperate gmail account for all of your tracker invites (not your personal one) <-- very important.

2. Don't use the same user name twice <-- very important!!!

3. Learn Bittorrent, how to upload and SEED. Comment: Do you need to?

4. Don't cheat/trade.

5. Don't hang out in IRC or post much in forums

6. Always read the rules and FAQ Comment: don't waste your valuable time.

7. Do not download large packs first

8. Beware of the hot torrents <-- really, do you need to?

9. Respect the staff Comment: huh! who cares?? right?

10. Make friends Comment: what's the use of it??

Last edited by bijoy; 01-23-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Teh n00b.

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    Good one bijoy, especially the second part

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    i saw a screenshot of a tracker whatcdfan posted yesterday ..

which tracker was that ?

the black one ..

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    also 5 and 10 how are you supposed to make friends if you never go to the forums/irc?

I really dont see why new members shouldnt come to forums/IRC though, especially if they have questions (regarding anything not just BT/tracker related), just because someone posts a lot, or comes into IRC it doesnt mean they are "sucking up" to the staff, and most owners have been in this long enough to tell the genuine members to the sucky uperers (the sucky uperers will never get a staff position on my tracker anyway), but if you know what the hell you are talking about on a certain subject and you help members out, one may very well come your way (a staff position that is).
    People don't go to IRC because it's an overly-complicated for the neophyte ?
    As for forums I can't really comment on BCG not being active there but most give up in frustration either out of general lack of activity or subjects being largely about things they have little interest in. I know despite best intentions that I've beaten my head against the wall in both regards at a couple places.

As for being staff, no disrespect intended but seriously who in their right mind wants to be that?

One comment on the "making friends " part .You can set out to be friendly but you can't tick in your diary "Today I will make friends "
    You either make friends naturally or you don't .Anything premeditated transforms the process into something else entirely and I don't think the word for it is very nice.
    Surely to make friends on a tracker (if indeed you want to) you still have to take part, its no good not using the forums/IRC and then saying, damn they are crap and not very talkative, if you dont use them yourself. So saying in 1 point, dont use the forums or IRC and then in the next point make friends, how can you make friends on a tracker if you dont use forums or IRC? that was my point.

And why shouldnt someone want to be staff, pleased not everyone thinks like that or there wouldnt be any trackers.

but in all honesty, and this is going back somewhat on what i have been trying to prove, when this was the Klite forums years ago, I made about 10-20 friends on here in a few months, added them to chat programs, and they helped me get BCG off the ground (IE being staff), then i left here because i didnt use Klite anymore, came back as it is now FST, and in 3-4 years i have not made 1 friend on here, as in adding to a chat program and chatting to them live over that.

It just seems everywhere is changing, back then you made friends and shared stuff, I even had my own FTP with stuff on for users on here from my 32KBs connection, instead of them getting it from Klite, now you never see anything like that, and i dont think its just BT its the whole of the net, its gone far to impersonal, or social networking where you may have 1000 ppl on your friends list, and only ever talk to 2.

but anyway to new users, read the faq/rules and dont think well "i read the ones on tracker A, tracker B will be the same", they wont be, and then just enjoy it and do whatever comes naturally to you (as long as you dont break the rules)

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    It just seems everywhere is changing, back then you made friends and shared stuff, I even had my own FTP with stuff on for users on here from my 32KBs connection, instead of them getting it from Klite, now you never see anything like that, and i dont think its just BT its the whole of the net, its gone far to impersonal, or social networking where you may have 1000 ppl on your friends list, and only ever talk to 2.
    Just be honest, tell on thing: don't you think that the bolded part is actually doing very much harm to bt?? I used to have some (4-5) very good friends in bt 4-5 years back.. they were very famous uploaders in some trackers... And now, all of them moved to usenet, rarely use bt, except for (explicitly saying) whatcd and bcg.
    Not only them, I heard that many many 'good' users of the past are not there in trackers... Not so much popular nicks...
    Even I don't know last time when & where I saw pdq in an irc chan or tracker.. ( only example )
    Teh n00b.

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    people grow up, get jobs, get families and even die, so other things take over their life, the problem that i am seeing, and it may be just on BCG is the older members are going for whatever reason, but if we open up we may get 3 members out of 3,000-10,000 that join in so to speak, 1 of those will be all over the forum/irc tracker for 2 weeks and then just disapear when they dont get staff, another one may last a couple of months, and maybe the other if we are lucky will stay for the long haul.

We have just pruned bambacha, 87TB uploaded #1 on the top 10, VIP but he has not been seen for 80 weeks (VIP are immune to pruning). keeping him as a VIP did not really send the correct message out "oh bambacha is still VIP i dont have to even login for over year and i can remain as VIP" as VIP is gained from the staff/other VIPs not from ratio/donations on BCG. But i had to put him to user and so he got pruned by the system, and i did try to send him an email but it got returned to me, so no idea whats happened to him, but we gave him every chance.

As an owner i would much rather see someone make 2-3 informative/helpful posts a day over a 6 month to a year period, than a member that joins and makes 80 posts a day, even if some of those are helpful/informative, just to try and get attention for a staf postition (mind you they may just like using forums but if they did they wouldnt just disapear after 2 weeks).

So yes, older members leave, and the newer members usually dont give a shite, and probably the older members dont either, its all about getting into as many as you can these days, or just curiosity, join up, nah, leave.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast