Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's cold outside, it's Global Warming!

惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post

I see where you're going with this. Eagar is cooler than Phoenix because there is less atmosphere above it so it takes longer to heat up and is quicker to cool down at night. But then tell me why Eugene, Oregon, which is lower in elevation than Phoenix, Arizona, is also so much cooler during the summer months, when the earth is tilted toward the sun?
    So you are able to grasp concepts that differ from the obvious, such as being cooler closer to the heat source. You are able to understand that there are reasons why things like that occur.

Yet it takes a leap of faith as to why GLOBAL, not local rises in temperature averages, could be affected by more pollutants in the atmosphere making it able to hold more heat etc. resulting in more water in the atmosphere, more fresh water (melted ice) changing the salinity of the oceans, effecting the airstreams etc. etc. etc.

As to the Oregon question, local geographical makeup affects weather. Mountains and plains have an effect on wind currents and moisture. My question was a simple point that not everything is absolute.

I'm not a climatologist, I make no claim to know why everything happens. I have noticed however that denial claims tend to be less than scientific and more about political conspiracy theories.

Have you ever wanted to run someone over in a monster truck because they suggested crops would grow if given water?
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    btw, how are all those new jobs your family business is supposed to be creating coming along?

there will be a job opening soon, in about 4 months, when i move to eugene, oregon, to attend the university of oregon.

Maybe you should apply for it?
    That's not creating a new job, merely filling an already existing one.
    How many new jobs is your lower tax rate creating?
    Last edited by clocker; 02-05-2011 at 01:19 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Have you ever wanted to run someone over in a monster truck because they suggested crops would grow if given water?
    What?!?
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    I still would love to hear an explanation as to why the Earth was warmer than it is now before humans? And the fact that we just came out of an Ice Age only 20,000 years ago so wouldn't ya think the only thing to bring you out of an Ice Age is to warm up?

Are we accelerating the Earth's natural cycle, is the questionable argument here , and I think we cannot argue that the Sun too has its cycles and is a main contributing factor here. Also volcanoes have played a huge part in climate change. Krakatoa when it erupted last time caused global climate change for many years. There are several factors to consider when talking about Global Warming, not just Human contributing factors.

Humans are so pervasive now that any change whatsoever caused by natural phenomenon is magnified even more so in our perspective. The Earth is going to do what it normally does and sure as hell isn't going to wait around for us to move, get out of the way, or consider economic impact.
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    惡魔的提倡者
    What?!?
    Idiocracy http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1526530841/

You'll have to hunt for the dildozer execution scene yourself
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post
    I still would love to hear an explanation as to why the Earth was warmer than it is now before humans? And the fact that we just came out of an Ice Age only 20,000 years ago so wouldn't ya think the only thing to bring you out of an Ice Age is to warm up?

Yes, I think the same way. But, they don't like to answer this question.

Are we accelerating the Earth's natural cycle, is the questionable argument here ,

I'll admit that we may have a tiny role in it, but that our role is so small, that no matter what we try to do about it, our impact will be limited at best.

and I think we cannot argue that the Sun too has its cycles and is a main contributing factor here.

It is the elephant in the room that they want to ignore, and say that its farts don't stink.

Also volcanoes have played a huge part in climate change. Krakatoa when it erupted last time caused global climate change for many years. There are several factors to consider when talking about Global Warming, not just Human contributing factors.

Humans are so pervasive now that any change whatsoever caused by natural phenomenon is magnified even more so in our perspective.

I think a lot of what is happening now is being noticed more because there are so many more humans in the way of natural disasters than ever before. If a tree falls in the middle of the forest and no one hears it, no one cares, but if one falls on your house in a newly built subdivision that was once in the middle of a forest, suddenly the sky is falling!

The Earth is going to do what it normally does and sure as hell isn't going to wait around for us to move, get out of the way, or consider economic impact.
    Last edited by 999969999; 02-05-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37

What?!?
    Idiocracy http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1526530841/

You'll have to hunt for the dildozer execution scene yourself
    Last edited by 999969999; 02-05-2011 at 08:48 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    But then tell me why Eugene, Oregon, which is lower in elevation than Phoenix, Arizona, is also so much cooler during the summer months, when the earth is tilted toward the sun?
    Eugene, OR: 44° 3' 8" N

Phoenix, AZ: 33° 26' 53" N

Beats me.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Ah, but why is that way? Eugene is actually lower in elevation than Phoenix, and during the Summer Solstice for the northern hemisphere, Eugene has considerably more hours of sunlight than Phoenix. So, why isn't it hotter than Phoenix during the summer?

By the way, doesn't Eugene look like a great place to live? I think so.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    惡魔的提倡者
    Ah, but why is that way? Eugene is actually lower in elevation than Phoenix, and during the Summer Solstice for the northern hemisphere, Eugene has considerably more hours of sunlight than Phoenix. So, why isn't it hotter than Phoenix during the summer?
    Let's just ignore proximity to the ocean, land formations (mountains affecting wind currents and moisture) altitude above sea level etc. and say that the two places have similar topography. The only difference is the location.

Why is it hot at the equator and cold at the poles at sea level? Think sphere.

Phoenix may be a higher elevation if taken as a measurement of the earth's surface, but is Eugene as close to the sun?
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 02-17-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: lower to higher

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast