Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What would the Pharaohs think?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    Don't worry. You'll grow up and eventually understand that what happens in one country can affect another in ways that don't relate to how you get to your slumber parties and back.

My slumber parties???

EDIT: My apologies,

Your apology is accepted, Darth -- please don't strangle me!

I thought this was the lounge. Considering this is the drawing room, I'll elaborate (but not edit out the first part of my post; it still stands):

The problem with the Egyptian riots is the fact that they hit a political critical spot. If the country falls, then so does the political stability of half the middle east (not only due other riots/uproars, but also due to Egyptian political influence on other countries in the area).

But you see, maybe we shouldn't be in a position where we need to care about what happens in these parts of the world?

It would be in everyone's best interests that no such thing happens or a world war will be on people's hands.

I doubt this.

Can't imagine that? Israel finally overpowers Palestine.

Israel is going to eventually gets its ass kicked by the surrounding Arabs and Persians at some point with or without our support. We need to cut them loose and cut our losses on them.

Iran gets involved since Egypt isn't there to control that situation any longer. The US gets involved. Then both the Russians and Chinese get involved for personal/political issues. There you go, two continents dragged into a war, simply because the people supposedly in charge of maintaining peace talks (even though they never actually do so), and governing a lot of Western influence in the Arab world have been taken out of power.

It's why the V.P. appointed had to be who he is (you can be sure he was sanctioned by the US as such, even before Mubarak thought of him as a possible candidate), and why no one is taking a further active part in giving the people what they "want".

So, let me put this in terms you would understand: If Egypt falls, gas prices will soar even higher (thanks to war, especially with so many parties involved). That is a bad thing. You don't like bad things. You should consider finding a better opinion that worrying about just the gas prices.

And that is what I am most worried about!
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I think it would be very likely that we could become self-sufficient using nuclear power and coal for electricity and natural gas for fuel for our vehicles.
    Interesting that you consider three of the most destructive and polluting energy sources to be our only path to self-sufficiency.
    I'm hardly surprised.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    YoYoY's Avatar Am Livin' It BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Most of the people contributing in this thread are full of shit.
    Guys , you know nothing about Egypt , I don't care what you know , you obviously don't care about what happens so I suggest you all shut the hell up and find something else to talk about.

999969999 obviously has too much free time.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    惡魔的提倡者

I think it would be very likely that we could become self-sufficient using nuclear power and coal for electricity and natural gas for fuel for our vehicles.
    Especially the last one.

Without government mandates how likely do you think this will happen? I mean simply raising the CAFE standards resulting in accusations of government tyranny. If it were a profitable idea it would already be happening with more than just a few farmers.

Look at the outrage about efficiency standards for light bulbs.

You've got me here.
    And here.
    And here.
    Oh go on, hazard a guess.

You answered in a different thread that you are against nationalizing energy industries. Word is that government regulation is the cause of all ills. We also know that industry runs for profit and not the national good.
    It's funny. We hear all this talk about drilling OUR oil, yet it's considered the oil companies oil. We take hardly any royalties in fact we give the oil companies tax breaks to drill our oil and sell it to us.

It's not that I object to this wonderful fantasy of us being self sufficient. I'm just being realistic that the free market system we have will not produce the utopia you desire.

So the question is.

Are you prepared to have government mandate these changes.

Countries like China can do these things because they give their people no choice.

Free countries have a much harder time doing these things because we give everyone a choice and they tend to want to do the complete opposite of what government suggests is a good idea.
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYoY View Post
    Guys , you know nothing about Egypt , I don't care what you know , you obviously don't care about what happens so I suggest you all shut the hell up and find something else to talk about.
    There is an old Egyptian blessing that I feel you deserve to be placed upon you.

قد البراغيث من الإبل ألف تتفشى إلى الأبد الأحمق الخاص
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Guys , you know nothing about Egypt , I don't care what you know
    And your credentials are...?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I don't care what you know
    One of the weakest positions possible in a debate. You would have to take a random snipit from one of 9's posts to get any weaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster

999969999 obviously has too much free time.

Yea sure...
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I don't care what you know
    One of the weakest positions possible in a debate. You would have to take a random snipit from one of 9's posts to get any weaker.
    Yeah! Take that Mr. YoYo!

Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Especially the last one.

Without government mandates how likely do you think this will happen? I mean simply raising the CAFE standards resulting in accusations of government tyranny. If it were a profitable idea it would already be happening with more than just a few farmers.

Look at the outrage about efficiency standards for light bulbs.

You've got me here.
    And here.
    And here.
    Oh go on, hazard a guess.

My guess is you're probably right about this. But you don't offer any solutions to this problem, either. We must find some way to become self-sufficient, so that in the future, we won't care at all when stuff like this happens in places like Egypt. Even you said we should stay out of this, and I agree.

We should have never been involved in Iraq or Afghanistan, either.

It is time to pull our military back home from places like Germany, Bosnia, South Korea, etc., and focus on our own problems. One of those problems is becoming energy self-sufficient.

You answered in a different thread that you are against nationalizing energy industries. Word is that government regulation is the cause of all ills. We also know that industry runs for profit and not the national good.
    It's funny. We hear all this talk about drilling OUR oil, yet it's considered the oil companies oil. We take hardly any royalties in fact we give the oil companies tax breaks to drill our oil and sell it to us.

It's not that I object to this wonderful fantasy of us being self sufficient. I'm just being realistic that the free market system we have will not produce the utopia you desire.

So the question is.

Are you prepared to have government mandate these changes.

Countries like China can do these things because they give their people no choice.

Free countries have a much harder time doing these things because we give everyone a choice and they tend to want to do the complete opposite of what government suggests is a good idea.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast