Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Console Gaming tracker

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    someone gets pruned every 30 minutes, that may be 1 person or 100 at a time its impossible to say. all i can suggest is to just keep trying.

2011-03 436 so 120 new members in 16 hours, but like i said it can vary greatly.
    Last edited by stoi; 03-04-2011 at 12:18 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    ShadowMan's Avatar Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    someone gets pruned every 30 minutes, that may be 1 person or 100 at a time its impossible to say. all i can suggest is to just keep trying.

2011-03 436 so 120 new members in 16 hours, but like i said it can vary greatly.

Thats good to know. What warrents pruning? I'm guessing inactive and poor ratio, any thing else I'm going to have to worry about?

Ah ha! Sweet I got an account. Thanks Stoi, I look forward to useing your tracker. Now to get some food.
    Last edited by ShadowMan; 03-04-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1

I mentioned one point earlier, & again mentioning this point::
    members who get 'banned' will get chance to join again & repeting same mistake again & again. Kinda useless, and it eat up some places too.
    Teh n00b.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    yep thats the 1 drawback, the other is making dupe accounts just incase we close again, so they can sell/trade them, and they will cheat more easily now as well, get banned just re-sign up (even though there is no need to cheat on BCG)

but its either that or ppl getting bored and selling their accounts anyway (for a lot greater price) or selling invites/referrals, and the tracker getting boring and going stale. not the opening up makes it liven up that much.

its catch 22 for me really, invites/referrals no one used them, and the vast majority that did, couldnt give a toss about who they brought in, members still cheated when we were closed tight, so....

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Cut-Copy-Paste's Avatar FST Satan BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post

I mentioned one point earlier, & again mentioning this Crap point::
    members who get 'banned' will get chance to join again & repeting same mistake again & again. Kinda useless, and it eat up some places too.
    Really? I m sure that if some1 have resources and connection to get into Invite only tracker for once he can do it again after getting banned.

And btw stoi i fully appreciated ur view and hope that other tracker also staff also realize that..
    Last edited by Cut-Copy-Paste; 03-04-2011 at 11:57 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    yep thats the 1 drawback, the other is making dupe accounts just incase we close again, so they can sell/trade them, and they will cheat more easily now as well, get banned just re-sign up (even though there is no need to cheat on BCG)

but its either that or ppl getting bored and selling their accounts anyway (for a lot greater price) or selling invites/referrals, and the tracker getting boring and going stale. not the opening up makes it liven up that much.

its catch 22 for me really, invites/referrals no one used them, and the vast majority that did, couldnt give a toss about who they brought in, members still cheated when we were closed tight, so....
    Your point of thinking is right considering one case, trading.
    Opening site time to time decrease chance of account trading, but it do not stop them. For example, look at trading section. I'd seen 2-3 threads for bcg 'invite'.
    And for cheating, there is no need to cheat there just because of seed point system, but some people do it, and nobody can stop them. (although they are very small bunch of people, so who cares? )
    What I was pointing out: "Is there any improvement in average number of snatches (site activity) after bcg stopped invite system?"
    If the answer is yes, then the present system is good. Otherwise it is useless.
    But I don't see any improvement of number of donations (which is most imp to run a tracker). So, I wonder whether opening a site time to time by auto deleting accounts is good or not.

P.S. the best way to get new users is neither invite system nor open signup, but it is irc interview. For example, look at what's system. They have invite system in place but the main way to get in is irc interview. I think its worth trying for your site.
    Last edited by bijoy; 03-04-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    Teh n00b.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    And for cheating, there is no need to cheat there just because of seed point system, but some people do it, and nobody can stop them. (although they are very small bunch of people, so who cares? )
    BCG's staff, obviously.

P.S. the best way to get new users is neither invite system nor open signup, but it is irc interview.
    That's also very time-consuming.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    We dont keep track of snatches like that, so no idea. but this hasnt changed much at all

Unique Peers 13,037
    Peers 150,591
    Seeders 148771
    Downloaders 1820

but then we have lost 10,000 members (used to be 50,000 now its 40,000) since christmas so that may have something to do with it.

Problem with IRC interviews.

Time Consuming
    Language barriers
    we are a games tracker, what can we ask, we cant ask about Flac/V0 or how do you encode movies, a game release is the same realease 99% of the time (only the cracks may be buggered/different for PC games) so we are very limited on the questions we can ask.
    and i want more than 3 new members in a day.

tbh we have (nearly) gone full circle.

Public tracker (no retention, hit and runs)
    Private but open (dupe accounts, hit and running just to sign back up again)
    Invites (trading/selling them, good members were too scared to use them, members that couldnt give a crap traded/sold them)
    Shut completely for 2 years (Boring, account traders/sellers)
    Referrals (see invites)
    Private but open (lets wait and see this time)

and in all honesty, none of them has worked lol, there are problems with all of the above, nothing is perfect and nothing ever will be (btw when we were shut completely, we did get members in from IRC and here, still didnt work).

PS: our latest member # is 427,910 so if we never pruned an account, thats how many members we would have since dec 2006, but whats the point of having 380,000 members that would never use the account again? (and if they did decide to, the servers would probably have a heart attack and die a very fast death lol)
    Last edited by stoi; 03-04-2011 at 05:32 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I think more people would use the referrals/invites if the punishment was a little less harsh for inviting a bad guy. Lets face it, most of us dont have many real life people we would care to invite, so that leaves random people on the internet that we barely know. Even if you think you know some one online, you really dont...

I'd use referrals more if the penality was something like docking upload amount instead of warning/banning me. Say I invite a cheater, ban the cheater, and take 10GB (random number here, just an example) off of my upload amount. It would make me seed more, which isn't a big deal, but would send a message to me without discouraging me from using another referal again once I was OK on my ratio again.

Cheater is banned, i'm encouraged to seed more to fix my ratio, win win for the tracker and community!

Putting my account at risk of banning is what keeps me from using invites on all my sites. Its just too harsh of a penality to risk IMO.

BTW, I'm not sure what penalities you had for referrals, i'm just using a general example, so if I'm off base here, sorry!

P.S. I much preferred BC being closed. I was much more comfortable downloading new big game releases then since i am in the USA. May have been a false sense of security, but since you have gone 'open' I only download older games from there now, which is a bummer to me...
    Last edited by Tokeman; 03-04-2011 at 05:51 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    I think more people would use the referrals/invites if the punishment was a little less harsh for inviting a bad guy.
    Excellent point. Let me also add the flipside of the coin: Not only do you have to be careful about who you invite, but who you get invited by, too. What use is an account if the person who invites you isn't reliable, trustworthy, whatever, and gets banned for any kind of serious misconduct, resulting in your account being deleted, too? That's why I prefer to be invited by admins / staff or use open registrations.

I can only applaud BCG / stoi for handling this issue the way they do. They've basically been there, done that, tried all approaches and settled with a solution that seems fair to all. Not perfect, of course, but working.

P.S.: About the interview questions, what about asking specific questions about game history, characters, series? Example: What's the name of the classic Nintendo Metroid series heroine?

Well, could use easier ones, but at least you'd only get people with serious interest in games.
    Last edited by shipwreck; 03-04-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast