Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Highwinds and their piss-poor completion

Ok. Give me then examples of DMCA removed stuff on AW.

Ive yet to find just one(donr confuse AW's screws up with dmca removals)

DO you honestly believe that all those guys who request removing all these titles from GN\highwinds dont know about AW?Considering its user base it doesnt make any sense

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    newsgroupie
    @Hypatia

I think that issue was debated here several times before (such as those long 'GN vs. AW' flamewars). I seem to recall that PC and console games were mentioned as being frequently taken down at Astraweb, but I can't remember the actual titles. (Maybe ask SOL?) Japanese Anime too I think. But really nothing I download.

As to your other question, it might be worth noting that "those guys who request removing all these titles from GN\highwinds" don't appear to even know enough about usenet to submit a proper takedown request. Maybe that's why a year or two ago Giganews added DMCA how-to's inside their post headers - which some of Hollywood's Keystone Cops apparently did not read or heed.

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    PC and console games were mentioned as being frequently taken down at Astraweb
    Arent you confusing something?

The talk has always been about giganews\highwinds considering console games\pc.

Ive never seen on forums someone complaining about DMCA removals of this kind of stuff. And several that i tested that were removed on GN\HW were totally fine.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    @Hypatia

I think that issue was debated here several times before (such as those long 'GN vs. AW' flamewars). I seem to recall that PC and console games were mentioned as being frequently taken down at Astraweb, but I can't remember the actual titles. (Maybe ask SOL?) Japanese Anime too I think. But really nothing I download.
    I download tons of anime fansubs and use AW, never seen an issue with that (including older stuff). Maybe sources are the issue?

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    Usenet Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    PC and console games were mentioned as being frequently taken down at Astraweb
    Arent you confusing something?

The talk has always been about giganews\highwinds considering console games\pc.
    Yeah, the complaints against GN that I've seen usually mention console games, especially xbox games, and HBO shows as the targets. The same files are said to be on AW/Readnews. From my own recent experience after getting an AW block account to supplement my Thundernews (Highwinds) account, there were quite a few games showing up in the headers from AW that were not on Thundernews. I spot checked a few of the .nfos and par2s of the new files and my newsreader only found them on the AW block account.

Ive never seen on forums someone complaining about DMCA removals of this kind of stuff. And several that i tested that were removed on GN\HW were totally fine.
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Oddly, that same community you talk about, is the same that draws many people away from torrenting.

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    newsgroupie
    There's little doubt that Giganews and Highwinds get the lions-share of DMCA takedowns. But that doesn't mean that other companies go completely untouched. I know I've seen discussion about this on this forum maybe a year or two ago, but can't hunt down any posts (the forum search wasn't finding anything and Google does not seem to crawl this site).

I'm just going by what others have reported, I have no direct knowledge/experience myself of finding files missing, but if you want a better answer, maybe ask SonsOfLiberty, I'm fairly sure he was one of the people who was "naming names"

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    The People vs DMCA call for SonOfLiberty!

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    ...I suspect that most usenet users, probably the vast majority, don't know anything about block accounts or fill servers - they connect to one server only and that's it.
    If people can't figure out how to use fill servers why bother? We both use Highwinds + fill servers without any completion problems.

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    We both use Highwinds + fill servers
    yeah sure but you know if given a choice i would prefer walkng on my two legs instead of on a pair of crutches

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    We both use Highwinds + fill servers
    yeah sure but you know if given a choice i would prefer walkng on my two legs instead of on a pair of crutches
    @Hypatia - Speaking as someone who walks with crutches, I can say that they offer a significant advantage in stability - 4 legs is better than 2
    Digital World...You can't handle the Digital World! What did your Mom buy you a PUTER for Christmas!
    http://usenetgeeks.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast