Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why does Christian Bale get lead roles?

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post

Satire can be funny, and even be classic comedy; however, it doesn't have to be.
    So sayeth the dictionaries but give me an example of any satire that didn't intend some humour connected to it.
    Swift's stuff is the closest that I can think of but I figure he was still trying to be funny but was just awfully British .
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    So sayeth the dictionaries but give me an example of any satire that didn't intend some humour connected to it.
    Swift's stuff is the closest that I can think of but I figure he was still trying to be funny but was just awfully British .
    Some humor? That sets the definition of comedy pretty low, doesn't it?

I did take a peek at Amazon's classification of American Psycho, and it is listed under Comedy>Satire

Let's look at the primary reason for the film... I do not believe it was meant to make people laugh about the '80s, nor murder. The author's original message remained intact. Granted, there were some "zany" scenes, but those were more high-budget horror-comedy (as opposed to ,say, Toxic Avenger). The vast majority of the show deals with looking at the superficial- as you said, "empty" life of the yuppie.

I believe we could watch the movie together, and both get all of the concepts in it. Is classification that important when we both "get it"- unlike our clueless thread "contributor", macky?
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'm sure that I get I whole lot less than I think I do.
    Anyway even though you were ( probably ) yolking film's a subjective and not a absolute medium so anyone's opinions are as valid as anyone else's.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #24
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Inside Job <--- a much more interesting film about investment greed/power. I lack the innate interest in personal narratives of the rich, but when they as an institution are mass fucking people, I'd like to have the facts on that.
    MBM, if you were someone I didn't like, I could really enjoy to hear about how much money you wasted on buying an American Psycho Bluray disc. But that not being the case, I'd just like to extend my condolences and let you know I'm here for you. Now at first, you may not want to accept my help, but I'm going to get you through this buddy.

5. Movies & TV   -   #25
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Inside Job is a documentary, American Psycho is fiction.
    I caught a distinctly Batemanesque vibe from some of the heads interviewed though.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    MBM, if you were someone I didn't like, I could really enjoy to hear about how much money you wasted on buying an American Psycho Bluray disc. But that not being the case, I'd just like to extend my condolences and let you know I'm here for you. Now at first, you may not want to accept my help, but I'm going to get you through this buddy.
    Actually, I got 5 free blu-rays with my PS3 purchase. I did however, choose American Psycho because the film does have substantial merit. If I could get you a movie-goers version of a white cane, I would.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Blind movie goers have a special cane?
    I did not know that.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I thought the film of American Psycho was absolute garbage, but i did just read the book a few months before i seen the film, and the book scared the shit out of me (I can read King and Herbert etc and nothing scares me, but this bloody did) I had to put the book down for 3 months, it wasnt so much horror, it was the fact i was seeing what he was seeing, IE: I was sort of him, and seeing it in 1st person, not 3rd person, and it really did scare the crap out of me lol (only book to ever do that).

and the film missed out a hell of lot, but then it would have been far too gruesome to put it in. spoilers below of 2 things that spring to mind.

Spoiler: Show

it has been a few years since i read the book so those may be a bit sketchy at best, but if you do like the film, and have not read the book, do so, but try to read it as you are him, and not looking at him from the outside, and it will scare the crap out of you lol

as for Christian Bale, hes not that bad, he plays an OK batman (but what do you really expect from batman, its not going to be Patrick Stewart reciting hamlet on stage is it).

another spoiler for what i think it was all about.

Last edited by stoi; 03-19-2011 at 06:07 AM.

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    So I FINALLY checked out American Psycho, I've had too many people recommend it. It was a huge fucking waste of time. Not only was the movie bad...
    really? i loved it. i've always thought that was one of his best roles and quite frankly imo that's what CB does best. sux that u didn't like it.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

10. Movies & TV   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post

it has been a few years since i read the book so those may be a bit sketchy at best, but if you do like the film, and have not read the book, do so, but try to read it as you are him, and not looking at him from the outside, and it will scare the crap out of you lol

as for Christian Bale, hes not that bad, he plays an OK batman (but what do you really expect from batman, its not going to be Patrick Stewart reciting hamlet on stage is it).

another spoiler for what i think it was all about.

I do think I will give the book a shot when life settles down a bit.

As for the second spoiler, That is the case with both versions. Nothing ever gets clarified...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast