Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Way To....

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    When I decided to really begin hacking away on my new case I bit the bullet and bought a pair of sheet metal nibblers. CompUSA stocks them now.
    They were only $10.

It does take longer than trying to use a Dremel, but you can get a far more accurate hole and it's not possible to slip and mar your case.
    As an added bonus they will cut square holes with nice 90 degree corners should you desire.
    Also, they do not generate the dust that a Dremel or a power saw do.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    i think ill buy a holesaw as vb1234 has said, looks the easiest, ive already got some lovely fan grills, thanks for your help everyone

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Show us the results.

edit: where have you decided to place the fans and how did you arrive at that location?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    clocker, when my mum lets me buy a digital camara, ill show you my system.

the fans are gonna be on the side panel, as ive found these to be quite effient, they will be blowing air in also, as my case has plenty of extraction, but not much cool air input, i am also gonna mod the back of the case, remove the restricted air flow holes and put a nice 80mm hole there, this will hopefully reduce my system temp to below the magic 30 (where it seems to sit)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Kunal, I applaud your audacity.
    Using the advantage of hindsite may I recommend that you do a bit of experimenting first?
    Make up a cardboard mock-up of your side panel and mount the fan in it and then monitor your system temps.
    A few inches one way or the other could make a dramatic difference.
    You may as well get the biggest bang for your buck and obviously, once you cut the hole you have to live with it.

edit:Tell your mom to quit being such a Scrooge and get that digital camera. This is important work here...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    BANNED
    Mate if its your personally system and your not to worried how it looks ..you may not even notice according how you've situated your pc.You could just remove the one side panel.You'll have plenty of air then.Like i said its how you like things,i dont mind myself & always leaves the one panel off.Could save you a few dollars too,you can spend on an other upgrade,like that d/camera.If anyone comes around you can always slide it back on.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Interesting that you should mention that CK.

I've been thinking of making one whole side of my comp just a big screened panel.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    BANNED
    Yeah clocker,i've never thought of that...you could put somekind of thin sheeting..just to try & reduce the niose abit...but not to thin so it dosnt flap.I have to leave mine open 'atm from where i've been still tring to get my old board going i havnt got any thermal paste on the cpu...ive ran out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Clocker what exactly are you recommending? That he take his case off, put a cardboard one on, and see where the fans work best?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    ive tried running my pc with the side panal off, it shaves 2c off my system and about 6 off my pc, but the noise increase is noticable.

@ clocker, thanks for your advice on making a cardboard model and what does 'audacity' mean , i looked in a dictonary and coudlnt it meaning

Edit does audacity mean nerve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast