Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: How Are Mac & PC People Different? [INFOGRAPHIC]

Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    OpenOffice is so crap they are now replacing it with LibreOffice in the upcoming Ubuntu releases.

2. vBCms Comments   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    OpenOffice is so crap they are now replacing it with LibreOffice in the upcoming Ubuntu releases.
    This statement shows a lack of knowledge of the situation. LibreOffice IS OpenOffice at this point. One isn't better than the other. Oracle pissed off the independent OO developers so they started LO using OO as its base. Oracle has recently cast off OO so it will probably just die now with LO progressing.
    Last edited by randomusername; 04-25-2011 at 08:15 PM.

3. vBCms Comments   -   #13
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I appreciate, and agree with, your stance, ca. I find Mac users irritating because they come across as overly confident, yet lack knowledge at the same time.

I also don't like being seen as pro-M$ just because I don't like Macs. M$ is the one I use, but I am keeping an eye on Linux- I believe it will eventually take over as an OS as it has done in every other device- it keeps evolving while Mac and M$ keep pursuing their own interests AND bloating.

4. vBCms Comments   -   #14
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    What exactly are these faults of Linux?

The only faults people seem to find is when they attempt to plug their Windows hardware into their Linux box and the drivers don't seem to work or complete and utter useless users who complain that it's not a clone of Windows.
    The main problem with Linux is that it's not user friendly. Yes, you can slap Ubuntu on a machine and a computer noob might be able to figure out how to do some basic stuff, but there's a fair bit of command line based fun that's daunting to most users. Then there's a general lack of driver and software support and a community fragmented into countless distros.

There are plenty of good things about it too, of course... it's open source, packaging is a nice way to compartmentalize everything on a system, it's stable, it's generally not resource intensive. I use linux on my remote webserver, like the rest of the world, but I'm certainly not ready to use it as a desktop OS.

Oh, and OpenOffice blows fucking chunks compared to MS Office. Every part of it just seems like a pale imitation.
    Linux never claimed to be aimed to be user friendly. From what I gather he only created it so he could work on his Uni work at home but couldn't because of hardware/software limitations. That's when Linux for PC began.

There's emulators and environments for windows applications; look for WINE and Cedega.

Yes, driver support can be a bitch but most worthwhile manufacturers also supply Linux drivers and the rare occasion for Macs

CLI can be simpler than a GUI if you know the commands. You only have to attempt to setup a network in Windows 7 or append permissions in Windows Server 2008 to know that it is simpler in Linux. Don't get me started on NTFS/Windows permissions.

There's a shitload of documentation out there that will help you with most issues, if a google search doesn't result in anything then jump on the distros forum and they'll be happy to help you out.

Open Office got me into trouble because I emailed my lecturer a odt instead of a doc. Stupid bitch didn't know how to open it.

I won't lie I also run a Windows box for gaming, Linux isn't quiet there yet for Gaming.

Once Windows users accept that Linux is a completely different OS and stop making it work "just like" windows then user will have a fun experience.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

5. vBCms Comments   -   #15
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    OpenOffice wasn't THAT bad, I had been an OO user for 3 years in the past. Some of the only complaints that I had were that you couldn't do some simple interactive things, like double click a worksheet tab to name it in Excel Calc. I abandoned OO when I couldn't open docx files that came out with Office07. StarOffice, now that was a piece of crap.

A new Ubuntu is coming out (came out?) with Unity as the GUI instead of Gnome. It looks quite alright. I always kind of equate the Gnome look with MacOS's look, I'll probably think the same of Unity once I get the chance to experience it. I don't like either, but at least you have the ability to change things in Linux, the Mac terminal turned out to be fucking useless when I was trying to get MediaTomb loaded onto it for a friend. I think Win7 has all of them beat on GUI though.

6. vBCms Comments   -   #16
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Yeah I agree mjmcky, Open Office was a bitch with docx extensions. Even when it did open them the fonts, tables and headings would of all changed.

As I keep repeating in all these types of threads, Microsoft tend to just slap a new GUI instead of changing/improving features. In Windows 7 it's literately the same OS just a different (longer) route to change settings. I don't think any sane user will use any of the default bundled shit Microsoft put on there, like their hopeless Firewall. The only thing I can see even remotely improved in Windows 7 is that you can uninstall more than one application at a time.

I know this thread should be more about Mac vs Windows but dear god there is a better alternative out there, people are just too ignorant to even look at it. I understand about market dominance but it's been nearly (if not over) a decade that Linux has been of existence and it hasn't pushed farther than an excellent NOS.

What the fuck is going on?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

7. vBCms Comments   -   #17
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Linux never claimed to be aimed to be user friendly. From what I gather he only created it so he could work on his Uni work at home but couldn't because of hardware/software limitations. That's when Linux for PC began.

There's emulators and environments for windows applications; look for WINE and Cedega.

Yes, driver support can be a bitch but most worthwhile manufacturers also supply Linux drivers and the rare occasion for Macs

CLI can be simpler than a GUI if you know the commands. You only have to attempt to setup a network in Windows 7 or append permissions in Windows Server 2008 to know that it is simpler in Linux. Don't get me started on NTFS/Windows permissions.

There's a shitload of documentation out there that will help you with most issues, if a google search doesn't result in anything then jump on the distros forum and they'll be happy to help you out.

Open Office got me into trouble because I emailed my lecturer a odt instead of a doc. Stupid bitch didn't know how to open it.

I won't lie I also run a Windows box for gaming, Linux isn't quiet there yet for Gaming.

Once Windows users accept that Linux is a completely different OS and stop making it work "just like" windows then user will have a fun experience.
    I'm aware of all of this, and I'm not really saying this for myself. I'm saying it for the general public, and telling you why linux in its current state will never see widespread adoption. Anyone posting on a tech related forum is obviously going to have a much better grasp of this sort of stuff, but you're forgetting that to the general public, commands like "cd" and "rm" at the command line would be daunting, let alone setting up anything to run in a WINE emulation state. And sure, there's documentation, but I know my parents don't want to be diving into it every few seconds trying to figure stuff out. The vast majority of the world wants user friendly, that's the problem.

As for improvements of Win 7 over Vista, faster search indexing, file libraries, better memory allocation, better native VPN support, improved multicore usage patched into the kernel, an improved and less annoying version of UAC, better program management from the taskbar, DX11, and just a bunch of misc crap. It certainly runs better than Vista did on my laptop. Sure, it's not the glaring update that Vista was to XP, but I'd argue after Vista's flop that was probably the right move for the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

8. vBCms Comments   -   #18
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    "cd" and "rm", it's the terminal version of "cd" and "del"
    which means everyone should know what cd means

The point I would make is that Windows is ubiquitous for the desktop/laptop market, Android for the smartphone, Linux for servers. MacOS and iOS are just there so we know where the ground is...

About Win7, I've actually found it quicker and easier to get to settings over WinXP. Most of them I reach from start menu bar, e.g., Device Manager. WinXP requires me to go to Comp Properties --> Hardware tab --> Device Manager button. In Win7 I just type "dev man" and it's primary on the list. The Start Menu bar has made a lot of things easier and quicker to get to granted you remember its name. Now the levels of settings that you're referring to do add steps, but I have the freedom to ignore all that, which has always been the case for Windows and any OS for that matter. It's funny how the quicker ways are less common, and reserved for the more advanced users, even with things as simple as cut/copy/paste.

9. vBCms Comments   -   #19
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The data just confirms a lot of the stereotypes
    Last edited by colbert; 04-27-2011 at 03:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12