Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentium 4 Extreme Edition At 3.40ghz And Pentium 4

Poster
    wait, looks like l computers have been OCing. it says it is really a 3.2ghz at the bottom of the screen

U RNT LEET LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by adamp2p@11 November 2003 - 15:20

I think that the 4.6 thing is a bit of a fluke or at least it is not a real time clock speed for the average joe, even with water cooling etc etc I can believe there is stability at 3.5 GHz but past that its risky.
    lol, yeah, the people who were doing that were either using dry ice, to just see how far it could go, or something else, I will have to go dig up that site that one of the guys does reviews at.

But yeah, its not what they run 24/7 at, just what they were able to do.

I know you can easily do over 4Ghz on just water cooling though, just look at the top 3dMark01 scores, or 03 scores, or even the PC mark scores, they ususally are P4's at the top, 4Ghz or around there.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    That may be the top for the current P4 line but in no way the fastest that Intel will go. It's only a temporary situation that they will overcome with even smaller technology. There is still Moore's law which states that CPU power doubles every 18 months or something like that.

So, no end in sight yet.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+11 November 2003 - 21:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 11 November 2003 - 21:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adamp2p@10 November 2003 - 23:28
    how much faster can the P4 go?
    About 4.6Ghz, from what I have heard among alot of the Pentium Overclockers. With a ride range of P4&#39;s, all on the northwood core these days, have all topped about at the most at 4.6Ghz. [/b][/quote]
    Intel demonstrated running their P4 up to 4.6GHz (if I remember correctly), and then Windows crashed. You can download the video from tomshardware.com.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@12 November 2003 - 00:43
    That may be the top for the current P4 line but in no way the fastest that Intel will go. It&#39;s only a temporary situation that they will overcome with even smaller technology. There is still Moore&#39;s law which states that CPU power doubles every 18 months or something like that.

So, no end in sight yet.

A recent article at Ars Technica noted that AMD, Intel and Motorola are all developing new transistor technologies which will help to keep Moore&#39;s Law on-track.

The article can be found here.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    well they may also shift archetechure though... especially with the 64 bits coming in to play... they may be jumping on to that new medium... of course we have to ask ourselfs, except for mission critical roles i.e. servers supercomputers, and mainframes, does anyone HAVE to have over 3.6ghz or so in thier personal computer?? i say no, not for a while at least... of course, that remark could be something i laugh at in a year or two... untill some really high end applications come out, i feel a direction of qaulity may be the one to be addressed for right now. a computer that never has problems... hehehe AOL put me out of buisness lol now i can&#39;t go over to hot chicks houses and fix thier computers... hehehe (because AOL will automaticly fix all problems on the computer, or so it claims, i would like to see AOL make my computer work when it is unplugged... )

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I wish AOL would quit trying to "fix" computers and concentrate on trying to keep my DSL up and running.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12