Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prince Charles, A Shirtlifter?

Poster
    That would depend on what the remarks were and the context in which they were made, wouldn't it ?

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@15 November 2003 - 11:29
    My, my, we've got threads out there about sticking fingers up arses, looking at snot in hankies, and looking at toilet paper after wiping your arse, and you worry about an obviously humourous thread.

I think your real agenda is rather obvious.

Yes - I object to blatant homophobia.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    BANNED
    This whole thread has been a light hearted dig at Charlie, and the royal family, it is in no way homophobic.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    I object to blatant homophobia too, but I don't see any here. I'm pretty sure my homosexual friends, and I have a lot of them, would not take offense at this thread. And I think that what people do with their sex lives, regardless of who they are, is their own business and it's utterly disgusting that the media should have jumped on it the way they have, and always do. You wouldn't be a royal for quids would you?

edit: I object to non blatant homophobia as well.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Poster
    Offensive material, whether for humour or not, remains offensive.

Bernard Manning is offensive. To those who don't know him he is a stand-up "comedian" who relies heavily on making "jokes" about, amongst other things, Asian people.

There are many others like him, I am sure everyone knows of at least one.

The fact that he does it in the name of comedy does not make it acceptable.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    BANNED
    The fact that he does it in the name of comedy does not make it acceptable.
    To you!

I'm pulling out of this thread, before someone complains to the mods again and gets me another suspension.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    J'Pol, just PM a mod if you feel that strongly against this thread.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Poster
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@15 November 2003 - 12:04
    J'Pol, just PM a mod if you feel that strongly against this thread.
    Darth

No offense, but why would I want to do that. I am merely expressing my opinion in the same way that everyone else is.

Some people find this type of thing funny, I do not. I am not black, Asian, homosexual or handicapped. However I have every right (in my opinion) to express my displeasure when people use these things as a source of "humour".

It only takes that we laugh these things off for them gradually to get more and more offensive.

This does not mean I have to "run to the teacher" about it. I am merely saying that I think it is wrong. If I am in a minority of one, so be it. I have been there before.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    J'Pol-

I did not mean for my remark to be taken so seriously-sorry.

I do however get a large kick from watching PC people (not you, but surely the Prince) take great pains avoiding a label which supposedly no longer carries stigma.

Why do you think they do that, and why is it overlooked?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@15 November 2003 - 21:24
    J'Pol-

I did not mean for my remark to be taken so seriously-sorry.

I do however get a large kick from watching PC people (not you, but surely the Prince) take great pains avoiding a label which supposedly no longer carries stigma.

Why do you think they do that, and why is it overlooked?
    Prince Charles has no option, he has to be PC.

They do it because it is the way they were brung up. Their genes and environmental conditioning, very rigid from an early age (one supposes), does not allow them to be very different from what is expected of them.

They are not to be envied, though I have no problem in showing them a bit of scorn.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast