Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Fantasy Authors?

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Mythology is religion. The Norse had their own religion and beliefs, as did every civilization. Since a civilization of people no longer scream "Blood for Odin!" those beliefs have since passed into mythos.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Not true Mythology is part fact part fiction it can be inspired by religious belief. That's like saying the Bible is religion. The Bible like most historic writing is partially Historically accurate but it is up to the individual to decide weather the rest is true. Mythology religous in nature because when most of it was written science was in it's infancy so instead scholars of time concocted these myths to explain phenomenons in the world around them. And what about urban myths they have nothing to do with religion but they are part popular culture and our own mythology.

And finally if your going to argue semantics just because the Illiad and the Oddessey are in the Classics section of your local local book store doesn't mean that they don't fall under literary terminology of being works of fantasy which was the point I was trying to make. You correct a member for calling these (the Illiad and the Odessey) works of fantasy by saying because there are inspired in part by religion. The point I'm trying to make is that as far as the literary world is concerned they are fall in catagory of fantasy (as would the bible if the Christian population wouldn't be offended).

In the literary world prose falls under 5 different genres:
    Tragedy
    Drama
    Fantasy
    Comedy
    Suspense

Notice mythology is not one of them that's because its a sub catagory of fantasy in some cases Tragedy (Antigone or Oedipus Rex- a Classic greek Myths that end in tragedy) since most mythological writings contain fantastic elements (a Gorgon named Medusa that turns you to stone under her gaze) these writing therefore fall under the Catagory of guess what.

And you should know this considering you are the area moderator.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Terry Pratchet

two reasons:
    1. Humor
    2.Ability to make sarcasm about the world today.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    If you want to classify religious beliefs as fantasy, fine. That's your perogative. It doesn't mean you are correct, and it certainly doesn't mean I have to agree with you.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. Lounge   -   #35
    I don't think u should agree with me just because I think I'm right but those Genres are correct as far as I know technically all prose falls into those catagories and since the books mentioned have fantastic elements I think they belong in this thread.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    i think brian jaques redwall series was great reading and i like to read a book that hasnt got a film to it which these dont which i like

even though it does have a tv series which i saw once and ruined what i thought you said a mouses name like

but his books are very interesting to me and it involes talking animals !

i esp. like the word dibbuns its so cute
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Its magic baby!
    the dark materials trilogy

by phillip pullman

these are excellent fantasy books easy to read with some very interesting ideas and concepts.

slightly for children but enjoyable for adults

the illuminatus trilogy is a great read also only for adults
    Wiz.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Robin Hobb

Fantastic author and well acclaimed. Her books are some of the best I've read of the fantasy genre - especially the assassins quest and liveship trilogy's. Well worth a look

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    i like they point horror books.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Poster
    I really like Christopher Stasheff. The Warlock Series. I also like most of the other author's you've mentioned.

Great stuff. I'm definitely gonna check out the few I havent heard about.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast