Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Shit I Messed Up My Com Big Time

RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Soul, figure your asleep at this hour. Waiting to hear how you made out. Hate to say it, but the ones who are saying its the cmos battery are probably right. Computers built before 1995 may not remember they have a hard drive if the cmos battery dies.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #112
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    When you reformatted, did you scan the disk for surface errors?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #113
    -Check all your connections.
    -Clean the contacts of your RAM modules.
    -Change your CMOS battery.
    -Get a dignostic diskette from the website of your harddrive mfg. (in your case Western Digital)-- Test your drive.
    -Try another copy of the Windows 98 CD. Preferably Windows 98 Second Edition.
    -Try completely deleting the partition(s) and repartition with a new Active Primary Partition.(I say this because I have seen a virus survive in a system even after formatting.(it was called 'Junky boot virus&#39) (and I suspect a virus was the cause of all your troubles.)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #114
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by Soul814@10 February 2003 - 18:06
    http://photos.yahoo.com/soulz814

Click On My Photos

if you enlarge the pictures you can see the words
    In reference to your photo with the "SUWIN General Protection Fault" Error Messages during Win98 Setup

I see in your Bios pics (lower right corner) that you have the options to use
    F6 - Load Bios Defaults
    F7 - Load Setup Defaults

Try using those features, one at a time! As the link above states, could be a possibilty of a bad motherboard as well
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #115
    Go to the motherboard mfg. website and find the latest bios update. Download and install the firmware update. (follow their instructions presicely)

And again... get a new battery.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #116
    ummm intresting suggestions... well before i formated my computer i was able to access all my files in my hard drive so i know it isn't dead... i took out the important stuff / files that i needed before i formatted it..... right now I'm installing windows 95, i also got windows 2000 but that will just kill my computer if I install it, if this doesn't work then I'm going to borrow my cousin's window 98se cd and try again... if that doesnt work... then i guess I will have to use my own money and buy a new computer... i shall see in a while... it is installing right now... hope everything turns out fine...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #117
    Originally posted by Nightwolf^.`.^@11 February 2003 - 12:33
    When you reformatted, did you scan the disk for surface errors?
    yea i checked, no errors...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #118
    YahOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo i think i got my windows 95 to work... but im going to have to install 98 so i can network my computers once again....

well, i will keep you people informed... right now im running the screen

Windows 95 is starting up for the first time...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #119
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Y'know, you really should invest in a new hard drive. Like someone else said, 106 MB doesn't even seem big enough for Win98. Not only that, but they do tend to fail over time. I'm sure if you go to Pricewatch or even eBay you could find something much bigger and faster that you could probably afford.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #120
    well i can get a new one... but i would have to use 100 or 200 dollars outta my pocket and that's all i have... I'm pretty happy w/ my computer right now.. i really don't use it for much... i have no games on it so it really doesn't matter, just microsoft office, some art programs and datz all... i dunt even have a speaker... since i lost the sound card for the speaker it came with, so it has no music in it, my computer has no internet in it... now i will have to wait and get a window 98se cd... n try to install that

bytheway WINDOWS 95 WORKS ON MY COM!

dankz 2 everyone who has helped me in this long tiring process...

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast