Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Buy Hp Or Compaq?

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@17 November 2003 - 19:41
    Would You Buy Hp Or Compaq?
    no.
    i buy an intel notebook and put an AMD in it?
    no.

depending on what you need it for, an HP or Compaq may be okay for you... but on the other hand you may end up finding out that you're getting screwed on something like the quality of the motherboard or audio/video, or that the Windows installation is bloated with useless junk that you don't want AND they don't give you a "vanilla" Windows CD to reinstall with (i.e. if you use their "restore" CDs, it just puts all the crap you don't want back into the hard drive).

the "you get what you pay for" rule kinda applies. if you buy cheap, you get cheap, and there's prolly gonna be something wrong with it that you don't notice until you really decide to start poking around in it. if you're going to buy HP or Compaq, i would recommend that you at least get hold of a pirated copy of Windows 2000 or Windows XP so that you can install a plain, unaltered copy of Windows when the pre-installed one inevitably goes haywire.
    i have to add this is not true, i have a compaq laptop, and sure the restore cvd putrs extra stuff on the laptop, btu its only drivers, and other apps to do witht the laptop, but i also got a windows cd aswell, without all the stuff on it, and a seperate drivers cd. i am totally happy with my compaq laptop.

athlon 1500, 320mb ram, 20gb hdd, and nothing went wrong.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    if they've changed their practices, that's great. the one time i bought a compaq, it did not have a Windows cd, and none of my friends who owned compaqs ever had windows cds. the restore cds came with utter garbage pre-installed, and littered the desktop with links to ISPs and whatnot (i.e. advertisments). this was pre-merger, though, and the only thing worse than a compaq Windows installation was an eMachines one.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    thanks, im just trying to get different opinionshere is what im looking to buy

U RNT LEET LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    3RA1N1AC:same thing with me, before they merged i got a presario and it screwed up. we had to get thwe restore cd and its pretty much the same story. windows was preinstalled and everything

my mom has an old(around '97-'99) pavilon. she has crappy specs but its running fine. i hope hp makes compaq more like them. hp seems to be the "leader" or w/e you call it of the merger

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by mooseman2070@17 November 2003 - 16:17
    i may buy an hp or compaq notebook because theyt are one of the few manufacturers who put amds in thir PCs. is there any other comapny (LOW-PRICE, NOT VOODOO) who puts AMDs n their notebooks? could i buy an intel notebook and put an AMD in it?
    wtf is the difference bcuz hp makes compaqs

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by h121589@18 November 2003 - 16:15
    wtf is the difference bcuz hp makes compaqs
    for starters, there's the official description of what the difference is. i doubt you'll bother to read it since you seem to have made up your mind already that there is no difference.

but i'll link it anyway.

http://news.com.com/2100-1003-1013837.html

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    yeah i know hp and compaq have differences but im sorta leaning towards compaq

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    o man im such a jackass! what the thread title meant was hp or compaq as one brand. not choose between them. im not sure if this changes peoples views

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    eh, it's prolly nearly the same thing. i just posted that 'cause h121589 had an attitude.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    yeah he did. but that article didnt tell much. im stil leaning towards compaq. the hp/compaq amd one at best buy are the exact same except the hp has corel quattro software and compaq has microsoft works.

should i go for compaq or hp? can i use window washer and just get works from warez sites?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast