Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Problems With My Country

While a living will has obvious advantages, in the Schiavo case, I believe a judge has ruled that it was her wish to die in these circumstances which surely carries the same sort of legal weight as a living will. Was the overruling decision to keep her alive governor anything but a vote getter?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by ilw@19 November 2003 - 06:46
    While a living will has obvious advantages, in the Schiavo case, I believe a judge has ruled that it was her wish to die in these circumstances which surely carries the same sort of legal weight as a living will. Was the overruling decision to keep her alive governor  anything but a vote getter?
    ilw-

If it were to be viewed as a "vote-getter", one would have to be relatively sure such an action as Jeb Bush took would result in more votes-given the current attitudes toward euthanasia/assisted suicide, I wouldn't assume this to be true.

Apparently (and this is not clear), some doubt has been cast on the idea she wished to die in this circumstance.

Her parents, as you know, have weighed in on the side of keeping her alive; they are the ones who claim she's capable of communicating, etc., and seem to be possessed of the idea the husband wants her "out of the way".

It's a bit of a mess, that way.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Originally posted by j2k4@19 November 2003 - 14:37
    If it were to be viewed as a "vote-getter", one would have to be relatively sure such an action as Jeb Bush took would result in more votes-given the current attitudes toward euthanasia/assisted suicide, I wouldn't assume this to be true.
    Out of curiosity, what are the current feelings of euthanasia/assisted suicide in the US? I know that a lot of US polititions make a big fuss about supporting right to life groups, but what is the general opinion, man-on-the-street type thing?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Originally posted by Alex H+19 November 2003 - 23:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alex H &#064; 19 November 2003 - 23:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@19 November 2003 - 14:37
    If it were to be viewed as a "vote-getter", one would have to be relatively sure such an action as Jeb Bush took would result in more votes-given the current attitudes toward euthanasia/assisted suicide, I wouldn&#39;t assume this to be true.
    Out of curiosity, what are the current feelings of euthanasia/assisted suicide in the US? I know that a lot of US polititions make a big fuss about supporting right to life groups, but what is the general opinion, man-on-the-street type thing?[/b][/quote]
    The pols who are "right to life" on both ends of the age spectrum don&#39;t generally make a big deal out of it, it&#39;s the others who are more vocal.

I think the trend is toward availability of assisted suicide, and living wills, etc., basically planning ahead.

Euthanasia is (deservedly, I feel) viewed as the bastard son of end-of-life options; the key for everyone seems to be whether the opinion/wish of the person in question can be somehow ascertained in advance, and if a choice needs to be made at some point, a mechanism is in place to reflect it.

I find it ironic that, while amongst us conservatives a range of opinions exist, American liberals, pretty much straight down the line, are pro-abortion, pro-euthanasia, pro-assisted suicide, but anti-death-penalty.

I&#39;ve never found one who can explain that; they don&#39;t seem to recognize any inconsistency in this thinking.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    I thought that article was going to be good until they started menctioning the Florida woman. Arm stopped reading after that.
    The woman is fucking dead&#33; Her brains dead and is in a permanent coma. She will never wake up and it does her no good to prolong her being alive.

Americas does not value life but in another way. Arm aint talking about abortion either.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Originally posted by Arm@20 November 2003 - 02:28
    I thought that article was going to be good until they started menctioning the Florida woman. Arm stopped reading after that.
    The woman is fucking dead&#33; Her brains dead and is in a permanent coma. She will never wake up and it does her no good to prolong her being alive.

Americas does not value life but in another way. Arm aint talking about abortion either.
    If you continue in the third person, I&#39;ll defer to the first two, who are (thankfully) silent.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Poster
    If you continue in the third person, I&#39;ll defer to the first two, who are (thankfully) silent.&nbsp;
    Can you explain this to me (left field), either pm or board. Your choice..

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Originally posted by j2k4@19 November 2003 - 22:16
    I find it ironic that, while amongst us conservatives a range of opinions exist, American liberals, pretty much straight down the line, are pro-abortion, pro-euthanasia, pro-assisted suicide
    and i find it ironic that fiscal conservatives aren&#39;t out in the street protesting against the hog-wild spending spree that our president is on, and that a predominantly christian country seems completely unfamiliar with the idea of turning the other cheek (as relates to both the death penalty and to inventing excuses for starting wars ).

irony isn&#39;t that difficult to find in most things, if you look at them with an ironic tilt.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by Arm@20 November 2003 - 07:28
    ...Arm aint talking about abortion either.

Third person.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Originally posted by j2k4@20 November 2003 - 06:16
    I find it ironic that, while amongst us conservatives a range of opinions exist, American liberals, pretty much straight down the line, are pro-abortion, pro-euthanasia, pro-assisted suicide, but anti-death-penalty.

I&#39;ve never found one who can explain that; they don&#39;t seem to recognize any inconsistency in this thinking.
    I think most of it can be summed up as no one should be allowed to take someone elses life without their consent and that people who are brain dead are already dead. Throw in some science to explain that foetuses are basically brain dead and have no rights and i think that covers pretty much everything. Imo conservatism is about the stagnation and consolidation of our current civilsation and its values, and liberalism is about the advancement towards the goal of a more civilised society and part of the process of advancement seems to be taking a scientific approach to looking at life. Is there anyone who thinks having the death penalty is more civilsed than not having it? The only one in the list you gave that doesn&#39;t seem civilised is abortion, but with a slight copout by saying the baby is not alive yet, everything is fine and dandy, maybe when the technology exists to save and support all those foetuses....

Just curious, but do you think people have the right to commit suicide and does anyone have the right to damage themselves?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast