Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism

Originally posted by Darth Sushi@19 November 2003 - 00:22
    Sorry, I don't want to evolve into this. I'll have a Big Mac, large fries, and a diet coke, please.
    ...so you can evolve into this:

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    iam not a vegetarian but my father is and i still like having a veggie burger they taste gooooooood!!!!!!!!

i could never be a vegetarian i like chicken to much
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Ok then, suppose everyone should stop eating animals, do you think it would make any difference to the environment?

Who would then look after all those millions of farm-animals? They would still have to be fed and cared for.

Anyone got any answers?

4. Lounge   -   #24
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by nigel123@19 November 2003 - 16:28
    Ok then, suppose everyone should stop eating animals, do you think it would make any difference to the environment?

Who would then look after all those millions of farm-animals? They would still have to be fed and cared for.

Anyone got any answers?
    which millions of farm animals? the ones being breed to be slaughtered?
    <insert signature here>

5. Lounge   -   #25
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by vivitron 15+19 November 2003 - 16:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vivitron 15 &#064; 19 November 2003 - 16:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nigel123@19 November 2003 - 16:28

Anyone got any answers?
    which millions of farm animals? the ones being breed to be slaughtered? [/b][/quote]
    Yes those animals..

Edit. There have been quite a few topics concerning vegetarianism recently... I have read most of the posts
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=667522

6. Lounge   -   #26
    My rule is eat what smells good.

You see there is no such thing as a "good" smell or a "bad" one, it is just how our minds are instinctively programmed. Who likes the smell of bacon in the morning? We all do because animal fat is the best source of energy out there. Our minds recognize this and tell us that it smells "good".

That is why my dog will eat the bacon. My rabbit will not eat the bacon, because it does not have the biology to deal with it. It will not refuse the meat on some moral highground, it is simply that it&#39;s brain tells it that it tastes "bad".

We all agree that feces smell "bad". Why, because it is not a source of energy. We have extracted what we can and so the mind says it smells "bad". Tell that to the dung beetle who makes a house out of poop, or the bacteria in your septic tank. They love the smell of poop.

So our senses have been programmed to respond to stimuli in a certain way and it is manifested in our brains as a perception (smells good/bad) or a feeling (pain, pleasure).

For instance, place your hand on a red hot stovetop. Notice what happens. Your hand withdraws immediately, before you even feel any pain. You look at your hand and wait for the pain to come, right? The initial withdrawl comes from specific receptors in your skin. They sense heat, this goes to your spinal cord and not your brain and makes your hand move before you conciously realize that it is being burnt. Different "pain" receptors are also stimulated that are much slower and travel to the "concious" mind. That is why the pain from a burn builds after the hand is away from the source. One is a spinal reflex (like when your doctor hits your knee with a reflex hammer), the other is a conscious perception. The reflex part saves your life by withdrawing, the pain perception part is to teach you to avoid that stimulus(a hot stove). This is called "learned aversion".

So what I am trying to point out is that the sensory input that our brain encounters is translated into something that we become conciously aware of. Based on our biology our neural hardware will tell us if something smells "good" or "bad"/ feels "good" or "bad".

So if it smells good, you should eat it because your brain is telling you that it is a good source of energy. Your mouth has the final verdict though, if it smells "good" but tastes "bad", spit it out, that wasn&#39;t meant for consumption. This is why we do not eat flowers and drink perfume.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. Lounge   -   #27
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    thats an interesting point; however i have to say that i cant stand the smell of meat...

in particular, i work in a shop inside a supermarket, and when people come in with cooked chickens on a weekend, i know they have them, cos thats all i can smell, and it disgusts me, to the pit of my stomach...whereas when i ate meat, i could never smell anything.
    <insert signature here>

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by Sid Hartha@19 November 2003 - 16:24
    ...so you can evolve into this:

I mean this complete with Austrian accent

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@19 November 2003 - 21:21
    thats an interesting point; however i have to say that i cant stand the smell of meat...

in particular, i work in a shop inside a supermarket, and when people come in with cooked chickens on a weekend, i know they have them, cos thats all i can smell, and it disgusts me, to the pit of my stomach...whereas when i ate meat, i could never smell anything.
    You are dealing with the complexity of being human. You are not only a biological machine, but you have a superimposed sense of what you perceive to be "right". The smell of animal meat now more acutely triggers your philosophy than your biology. This is a sort of emotional "learned aversion".

Think back to the time before your mind had decided to "oppose" the consumption of meat. You simply ate what your mother put in front of you. Did meat smell good then, probably so.

I saw your picture on Funky&#39;s site, I thought you had an extra hand and a tuft of hair on your neck, then I decided you we standing in front of your mother.The relevant link
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    why do people have somethign against veggies ??

all they do is not eat meat

a couple of &#39;friends&#39; dont like me being a veggie - it just bugs them &#33;&#33;&#33;

i just dont get some people &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast