Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is There A Point

Aberrant
    Originally posted by ilw@20 November 2003 - 10:23
    sounds like the perfect carte blanche to me :rolleyes
    Not sure what you meant by that.

But I think you'll need to give your defenition of "real" before I can interpret the rest of your post.

Oh.... and when did you start smoking?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    "Spirituality is consciousness of infinite interrelatedness."

Adler believed that we were all spiritually connected to each other.

For me, Spirituality is experience and Spirituality is mystery.

Have you ever experienced a profound feeling of transcendence when everything seems to fall perfectly into place? … a transforming moment of empathy and connection to someone or a blissful apprehension of nature, music, or art?

I know that, on rare occasions, I have experienced such transcendent moments.

Albert Einstein said:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, his eyes are closed."

Well if you only skimmed the second article just wanted to make sure you read that.
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    There are 3 things that people believe happen to them when they die.

----------
    If you are of the Catholic persuasion, then you believe when you die you go to heaven or you go to hell. In this case some people have amazing faith and believe that they are of the correct religion and will do there best follow the rules to go to heaven. But other's don't feel a pull into organized religion, they never feel the warmth of faith knowing they are doing the right thing. If someone believes that this is the way it works but doesn't have faith, then it is impossible for them to be happy never knowing for sure. This could cause people to say 'what's the point of trying' and kill themselves.

--------
    If you are a spiritualist you believe when you die your spirit can live in heaven or wherever, or it can come back and try life again. I think this is the easiest to believe, and the most comforting. It relieves the fear of dieing, but it turns life into a video game, just press reset. If you don't like how your life is going, kill yourself, learn from your mistakes, and try again.

--------
    If you are a full athiest, you believe that when you die you are gone forever. This scares the people who are happy, but soothes those who are depressed.

People say to look for the good in life. Good is just the absence of bad. If you buy a lottery ticket and lose, that's bad, if you win your money back or more then that's good. If you get a job you like it is good only because you didn't not get the job.

For some people, no matter how good things are, it still isn't worth the bad, even if it's hearing a Brittany Spears song one too many times. Therefore, if you kill yourself, you will never have to put up with the bad again....and that's good.
    --------

I guess my point is no matter what you believe, suicide can be justified.

(For some reason I started thinking about all this before I got out of bed this morning, when I started reading this post, I thought that it fit)
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Originally posted by titey+20 November 2003 - 15:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (titey @ 20 November 2003 - 15:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ilw@20 November 2003 - 10:23
    sounds like the perfect carte blanche to me :rolleyes
    Not sure what you meant by that.

But I think you&#39;ll need to give your defenition of "real" before I can interpret the rest of your post.

Oh.... and when did you start smoking?
    [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m just saying that knocking people off willy-nilly sounds like fun so that might be someones idea of just enjoying themself and not worrying about contributing to the future. It was just a silly point, ignore me

I only started smoking cos of all the peer pressure to look cool, notice i don&#39;t inhale B)

As for my definition of real, hmmm, thats kinda hard, I suppose what i was really talking about in the post before was objective reality, as opposed to experiences that are restricted to just you (not anything else physically) which are imo a subjective reality.

As for spiritualists, if they had a spiritual experience on lsd is it any less meaningful than one experienced clean of drugs? imo no they are both meaningless, because the processes in your brain are to a certain extent random and various imbalances can cause different effects, for instance i think its frontal (might be temporal) lobe epilepsy is known to cause intense religious experiences/visions. Maybe a spiritualist might say that visions or experiences from this are still valid, but to me thats just bs.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes+19 November 2003 - 20:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes &#064; 19 November 2003 - 20:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-protak@19 November 2003 - 21:27
    There&#39;s alot in life&#39;s meaning&#39;s...I have Kid&#39;s, that&#39;s the best part of my life, I wonder how there life would be affected if, I went and shot my neighbour, or if they found me hangin in the garage? Thoughts are exactely that, the subconcious wandering into unfamiliar territory. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem How about travelling the World, your first kiss, the first car you owned, going to the cottage.....did&#39;nt any of these, and many other event&#39;s have some meaning?? Maybe your to young wright now to understand that life, indeed, has its up&#39;s and down&#39;s. But could you imagine if you were terminally ill, I don&#39;t think you would be asking this question, I think you would be trying to relish every last moment...

&nbsp; Cheers,
    Tim B)
    This is a great post. Life can be harsh, but is still precious. [/b][/quote]
    Thank&#39;s hobbes, life is both "harsh and precious".

Cheers,
    Tim

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Aberrant
    Originally posted by ilw+20 November 2003 - 13:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ilw &#064; 20 November 2003 - 13:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I&#39;m just saying that knocking people off willy-nilly sounds like fun [/b]

I&#39;ll be watching the headlines for yer name then.

<!--QuoteBegin-ilw
    @20 November 2003 - 13:19
    As for my definition of real, hmmm, thats kinda hard, I suppose what i was really talking about in the post before was objective reality, as opposed to experiences that are restricted to just you (not anything else physically) which are imo a subjective reality.&nbsp; [/quote]

I see.... so in order for something to be "real", it must be experienced by more than one person. Kinna like the ol&#39; tree falling in the woods analogy then.

But since everyone&#39;s experience is unique, then wouldn&#39;t that mean that all experiences are singular and therefore "unreal"?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123