Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pc V3.3

Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+22 November 2003 - 04:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 22 November 2003 - 04:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@21 November 2003 - 22:16
    Well VB, I seem to have a problem deciding when I have reached the final stages of a project...
    I understand&#33; [/b][/quote]
    You guys are funny&#33;

I relate&#33; I only wish I had more time on my hands to play with my favorite machine...but the woes of taking two math classes this semester has taken its toll on my computer time...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Edit:

I wasn&#39;t kidding, I really do have an idea.
    What if I flipped the PSU on it&#39;s back? This would place the big fan on the top of the unit. The fan would be flipped so that it now is pulling air out of the unit. A vent hole would have to be cut into the case roof. The current exhaust fan on the back would probably be removed and a simple screen installed. That 120mm fan can pull lots of air at a slow speed. I can insulate the (new) bottom of the PSU to isolate it from heat rising off the CPU HSF.

What do ya&#39;ll think?
    I think that would reduce the effectiveness of the CPU cooling and overall air flow in your case that the PS fan provides.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Damn.

You may have a point.
    Viewed strictly from the PSU&#39;s standpoint though, I think it would be an improvement.
    I suppose that right now, using the intake for the PSU as an exhaust for heat rising from the CPU HSF is a good set up, but it seems unfair to the PSU, sorta.
    I&#39;m really debating this one.
    On one hand, putting an exhaust vent right above the PSU on the roof isn&#39;t a bad idea anyway, that 1 1/4 inch space is a major heat trap ( although not so much anymore) as there is no appreciable air circulation in there.
    On the other hand, it is a pretty major modifcation to make to a very visible area of the case. To this point all of my hole cutting has been internal, or at least not really noticable, and justifiable as good air intake even if there is no longer a fan mounted.

This will take some mulling...

Edit:
    I think it&#39;s time to begin designing my own case. Too many decisions on layout , airflow management and aesthetics have to be compromised due to strictures laid out by the case manufacturers.
    Particularly galling is the placement of the two biggest heat sources right on top of each other with no really good way of dealing with the waste BTUs.
    Hmmmm....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    hehehe clocker nice work, i also have been trying to make my test rig more efiecent, and i have gotten to the point of needeing to make my own case, I would look at the new mac G5 case, it has temperate zones etc... things that need air get it first, then your cd drive gets whats left

Nice to see a suggestion working&#33;&#33; (the thermaltake ducts&#33 wee need more poeple like you Clocker&#33;&#33;, although if you poeple think about it, any one who OCs is like clocker, all willing to take risks, and try new things for the better, we just lack the wallet he has hehehehe (you don&#39;t have to buy much because you already have it i know&#33

1 question though, you say you have one switch for the reseting of the COMOs, do ya think i could take the reset switch (never use the damned thing) and just plugg that into my mobo, (i have the standerd 3 pin jumper for on and reset, your thoughts??

very nice clocker also look at this bit pricy, but if you are truely troubled with your PSU it can be helpfull&#33;

an idea

they make smaller watts too, but the idea is intreging none the less(although i bet you could do it)
    I am planning on actually making molex ports etc on the side of the psu, so i only prugg in as many wires as i need... any way

May Your modding be fruitfull, and may it not blow up&#33;&#33; (yes i pray too when i modd something crazy) hehehehe

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Al,
    You need a switch like this one,

Your reset switch is only two pole and won&#39;t work.
    The illustrated switch will alternately connect the center pole to either of the two outside poles, which is, in essence, exactly what you do when you move the jumper on your CMOS. Edit.. just by happenstance, on my motherboard, the CMOS pin arrangement is exactly the same as a female fan connector, so that&#39;s what I used at the mobo end of the wiring. I don&#39;t know if this is universally true however...

That PSU is definately a step in the right direction, but...
    it would have been much cooler if the Molex&#39;s had been mounted on the wall of the box rather than just dangling out of one common hole, and
    it seems awfully pricey given that they have really only used a few extra connectors and a few feet of sleeving.
    It is still a major improvement over the normal setup, though.
    Just more to think about....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26

I personally don&#39;t like this idea. It adds a bulk of connectors and adds to the total number of connections points. Just more chances of problems due to poor connections.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Oh, you just don&#39;t like green sheathing...

Where&#39;s Abu?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Originally posted by clocker@22 November 2003 - 12:11
    Oh, you just don&#39;t like green sheathing...

Where&#39;s Abu?
    It might look cool with a blacklight&#33;

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    A strobing blacklight&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@22 November 2003 - 17:15
    A strobing blacklight&#33;
    dont forget the disco ball

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast