Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CAM rips for new theatrical releases...why not HDD?

Poster
    Why do so many rippers for new (theatrical, first-run) features go the CAM-RIP route? These videos look/sound AWFUL.
    Why can't rippers get from theater's Digital Cinema PC/HDD (via USB, etc.) Some... ahem ... theatre projectionists/file-shares should surely be aware of this? Or is the/an obstacle a technical one: e.g., the "live steam" or video format for movie theaters encoded in some "uncryptable" way?

Refs:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema
    http://magazine.creativecow.net/arti...digital-cinema
    Last edited by mh1313; 06-20-2012 at 01:31 AM.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    They are not AWFUL, they are acceptable if you choose a decent release. I have enjoyed quite a few CAM's. You can't rip the digital one because its encrypted. Its a lot easier to smuggle in a camera, then filter it and upload it.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    johhny's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    one time i watched a TS from imagine hooked up on my HDTV and it was looking like R5 pretty pretty good.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    The encryption used must be pretty tough, given the tenacity and skill of file-sharing hackers. But given the $$ at stake -- all the popcorn, soda and Twizzlers revenues -- I guess this is not surprising.
    Okay, so no simple routine ... like plug in your small (high capacity) thumb drive into the Cinema-computer (and/or related cinema-storage device), and "you've got movie" (in AOL speak!).
    I'm going to guess that EVEN the Cinema-computer-to-projector interface is not your typical HDMI??

The CAM's still look but esp. SOUND quite awful to me ... I'd rather wait a few mos. for better qual. home-vid release. No movies released theatrically is, IMO, that important.

EDIT:
    Did a bit of digging and found some topical resources. Seems TS is the best of the lot, for now. Maybe some Norwegian teenager wants to take a crack at it again
    Last edited by mh1313; 06-20-2012 at 12:01 PM.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    LemOnzoo's Avatar boy from andromeda
    i never watch pre DVD or Bluray releases. I think that prometheus is released in CAM HD

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I hate CAM's.
    Awefull sound,shady and blurry picture and strange colours.
    Have soms patience and wait until they release something that doesn't hurt your eyes/ears!

I'm not a HD-fanboi, but I do think a CAM can ruin a movies whole feel/timbre.
    Last edited by Disme; 06-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    Can you feel the LOVE

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    What's weird is that tons of street vendors have legions of people who will pay over and over for cam rips.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by desolate1 View Post
    What's weird is that tons of street vendors have legions of people who will pay over and over for cam rips.
    Well in those places you can buy an AK for $25 USD and a few thousand rounds for $5, so I'm not surprised. Everything is for sale and everything has a price.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hole69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by desolate1 View Post
    Well in those places you can buy an AK for $25 USD and a few thousand rounds for $5, so I'm not surprised. Everything is for sale and everything has a price.
    I'm not talking about some 3rd world country. I'm talking about right here in the good'ol USA. In front of liquor stores and check cashing places, some of the bigger swap meets, all kinds of places where you'd THINK the cops would walk right up to them and put them in jail. NOPE, doesn't happen. I know some local street vendors who've been selling for YEARS in front of stores and what not. Says the cops don't even give them a 2nd glance, as long as they don't look thuggish, or up to no good. Dress decent, don't solicit TOO hard, and cops won't even bother you. God bless America.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    CAM in theater is not allowed. Let alone rips from theater's Digital Cinema PC/HDD.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast