Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a NAS for a media server?

Netgear ReadyNAS has worked great for me. Runs the plex server great. Then you pair it with a $99 Roku 3 you can stream your entire digital movie collection to any tv in your house without ever needing a pc. Its the simplest and cheapest method I have found to play mp4, mkv's...etc on your tv at 1080p 5.1 surround without needing a fancy computer hard wired to your tv.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    i would be looking for a used hp proliant microserver a la this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8tngCNaeSE
    HP ProLiant MicroServer

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Since the original poster asked about a NAS box why is virtually every reply not about a NAS box? The only advantage you have in using a computer is that you can retask older hardware for this purpose. But then if you are running on this kind of a budget the other part of the scenario is to retask older hard drives into a JBOD array and then run an appliance OS like FreeNAS.

Now while this approach is cheap, there are disadvantages. The first and major disadvantage is power. You now have a PC running 24/7 and since it is running a RAID array it will be running under an active power profile, so the power consumption here is quite large. In order to run a RAID array efficiently there should be a decent power reserve so a fairly large power supply is needed for reliable operation, therefore the power usage is high.

The next VERY common problem/stumbling block is that often mismatched drives are used in a JBOD array. Now by mismatched I mean in terms of the drives rotational speed and very importantly design type. You see all hard drives are not created equal, drives are designed for different usage roles and sold at different price points to reflect that. One of the most common mismatches is the use of WD Caviar Green drives in an array especially in JBOD mode with some drives staying active while the Green drives going into power save and park the heads. This mismatching causes lags in the array and will eventually cause the array to either stop functioning or if the mismatch is too great the array will simply fall over. Now using an appliance OS like FreeNAS only gives you limited ability to physically control the RAID array and if you are retasking a PC for the purpose rather than a purpose built server machine, then once again the ability to control the array in the BIOS will be limited.

The safest way to avoid this is to use matching drives in a RAID 5 array rather than JBOD. I am taking that posters in this thread at least understand RAID technology rather than explain RAID levels. My personal recommendation are the Western Digital RED drives. These are purpose built NAS hard drives designed for high availability and usage.

The advantage of running a NAS box from one of the major vendors like QNap, Synology, Netgear or even ASUS with their new ASUStor line of NAS boxes is that they have a very small energy footprint, typically a four bay NAS box will use between 40-70 watts of power, a fraction of that required to run a PC doing the same job. The physical footprint of these NAS boxes is very small too, making them convenient to place out of the way since once running, in theory there is no real reason to go back to the device again.

The dedicated OS that comes with these devices too gives you functionality that you will not find in a PC running FreeNAS, although this functionality varies by vendor, I have configured devices from QNap, Synology and Netgear and find the functionality broadly similar. With cloudbased administration you can even monitor/administer the NAS box from a mobile phone/mobile device and of course access data remotely.

For the purpose of this thread, the enquiry was about a media server which a NAS box will do easily, they all have CIFS/SMB clients as well as DLNA integration, making them visible to virtually any digital device on the local network, but there are also other advantages/uses. The other major one being backup. With a separate NAS box with RAID5 redundancy there is far less likelihood of data loss, providing that backups are scheduled regularly.
    Last edited by Artemis; 01-26-2014 at 09:01 PM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I got a Zyxel NSA325 and am pretty happy with it.
    It's relatively cheap and you can install custom packages onto it.
    For me it's running SABnzbd, Couchpotato, Sickbeard and a few other services, as well as media streaming without an issue.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I use a low-entry Synology for storage and a Raspberry Pi B running XBMC. No problem so far.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    I have a NAS that I have used as a fileserver for years, and a couple of years ago, I upgraded the software and got a media server - this got me thinking.

I used to just use my playstation as a media server and connect to the NAS and stream it all that way, but I got annoyed having to convert MKV files.

the NAS was fine, but not ideal, now I use a Raspberry Pi - it's a much better media server (XBMC rocks, and RaspBMC or OpenELEC are so easy to use) - the pi allows phone remotes, bluetooth remotes, I also have a little touch screen monitor that acts as the media controller - all of this was easy to setup and so cheap (you can just plug as many external hard drives into the pi as you like - I have a 5 quid powered usb hub that has 2 drives hanging off it, and it still connects to my NAS

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Still sometimes using FreeNAS server that was build like 3 years ago.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    I use a QNAP NAS which apart from the external PSU going tits up just before Christmas has performed without a hitch for over 3 years, no disc errors or file corruption and streams full HD without issues to a Mede8er box.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    I've got a D-Link DNS-320 which I bunged a couple of 2tb wd drives in as RAID 1. Works well, pretty cheap and has never let me down in the 2 years or so I've had it BUT the fan on it is very noisy and I haven't found an easy way to swap the fan. If it's going to be in a living room I'd recommend spending more on a quieter NAS box.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    I'm in the market for a Nas device. I have narrowed my choice to Synology or QNAP. I think these Nas devices are perfect for everyday home users .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast