Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclocking The Cpu

CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by Grim@12 February 2003 - 11:35
    Ya all seem to have missed summit oot, HOW TO DO IT???
    Actually have to tell what cpu you have. They all overclock in diferent ways. For instance I am a DieHard AMD user (guess using the name is okay

Good Page -
    overclocking
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by CornerPocket+12 February 2003 - 18:44--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CornerPocket @ 12 February 2003 - 18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Grim@12 February 2003 - 11:35
    Ya all seem to have missed summit oot, HOW TO DO IT???
    Actually have to tell what cpu you have. They all overclock in diferent ways. For instance I am a DieHard AMD user (guess using the name is okay

Good Page -
    overclocking [/b][/quote]
    Sorry&#33; Using an AMD Athlon 800mhz, 256mb ram & evrything seems to run quite fast anyway. No Problems reely.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    I speak of the old days, so things may have changed.

There was never such a thing as a speed for the processor. There was an architecture. So you got the Pentium, the PentiumMX (or mmx or something like that, enhanced instruction set same architecture), Pentium II etc.

As the manufacturer got better at making them then they could run at higher speeds and still be reliable. So the Pentium P90 became the P120. It was exactly the same chip, but better built so could run faster. Eventually the older ones were phased out as existing stocks were used up. If there was a bigger demand for the P90 because it was cheaper, then they would sometimes supply P120 chips instead, because they had them. So you could get a 30% incrfease and still be within the built in tolerance.

Manufacturers have to build in a certain margin for error. The processor will always be able to run faster than it says. However as the chaps say it will also get hotter. If provide good cooling then this should not be a problem. In addition to the suggestions earlier, if you have the option then keep the PC in a room with no heating on. Use the PC to heat the room, think of it as a big fan heater. Then you will know the amount of heat it is producing, froma couple of square inches. Think about it, it is difficult to cool it if the ambient temperature is high. So keep the room cool. Also make sure it is well ventilated. Not under your desk with a pile of dirty clothes on top.

One oem actually made a PC with a built in fridge, around the processor. It never really took off. I think the latest thing is large copper fan shaped heat sinks, providing the maximum surface area to dissipate the heat produced.

I have overclocked old systems and got a noticeable boost in performance. However I don&#39;t do it anymore. The modern stuff is fast enough for me anyway. Just get plenty of RAM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12