Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Is Overclocking?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    When you put a commercially made CD into your drive and want to store it on your HDD you can chose which format to save it in.
    This is called "ripping".
    Or encoding.
    Typically the format of choice is MP3 because the resulting file is so small compared to a Windows Media File.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by clocker@24 November 2003 - 21:35
    When you put a commercially made CD into your drive and want to store it on your HDD you can chose which format to save it in.
    This is called "ripping".
    Or encoding.
    Typically the format of choice is MP3 because the resulting file is so small compared to a Windows Media File.
    yea. i was talking about making dvd rips into xvid and divx. almost the same, but requires much more cpu power to run fast. ocing is really helpful.
    1: same cpu temp as b4 i oced
    2. better benchies
    3. faster encoding
    4. faster games
    5. no crashes or pc probs for almost 3 months now since i oced it

that's a pretty good deal for only changing a small number in the bios

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Yes it is.

Of course, VB1234's equally valid objection is that over the long run you are probably hurting durability to some extent. Plus, if you do suffer problems, then you have added more factors into the mix.
    It all comes down to what you are willing to risk and how much you are willing to put up with when ( not if ) things go to hell.
    Personally, I'm betting that I'll have a new chip before any side effects show up on this one.

I wonder what the average lifespan of a CPU is for members of the board? Not that posters in this section would be average (or they wouldn't be here to begin with), but still, it would be interesting to know.
    Just guessing, I would say 2 years.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Seeing as how its modifing just BIOS setts, you can usually get away with sending it back under the old warranty. Remember, if you use any heatsink of fan other than the stock ones, you have already VOIDED the warranty. So trust me, its AMD, they give lee way.

Oh and Clocker, I upgrade my CPU before 2 years, lol.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by clocker@24 November 2003 - 21:53
    Yes it is.

Of course, VB1234's equally valid objection is that over the long run you are probably hurting durability to some extent. Plus, if you do suffer problems, then you have added more factors into the mix.
    It all comes down to what you are willing to risk and how much you are willing to put up with when ( not if ) things go to hell.
    Personally, I'm betting that I'll have a new chip before any side effects show up on this one.

I wonder what the average lifespan of a CPU is for members of the board? Not that posters in this section would be average (or they wouldn't be here to begin with), but still, it would be interesting to know.
    clocker, my old HP pc had a pIII 800 mhz. and there was no fans in the pc. only 1 cpu fan, and no heatsink. i used that comp for 4 years. no hardware probs at all. only occasional crashes and stuff with windows me. then i upgraded to xp, and it was still slow, but at least no more crashes and soft probs. but the cpu ran at maybe 45-55 C all the time, and no probs at all for 4 years. so, i'd say cpu's last a lot longer than 2 years

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    I'm not saying that they break, just that people replace/upgrade them every two years on average.
    I'm guessing.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+24 November 2003 - 22:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 24 November 2003 - 22:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@24 November 2003 - 21:53
    Yes it is.

Of course, VB1234&#39;s equally valid objection is that over the long run you are probably hurting durability to some extent. Plus, if you do suffer problems, then you have added more factors into the mix.
    Personally, I&#39;m betting that I&#39;ll have a new chip before any side effects show up on this one.

I wonder what the average lifespan of a CPU is for members of the board? Not that posters in this section would be average (or they wouldn&#39;t be here to begin with), but still, it would be interesting to know.
    clocker, my old HP pc had a pIII 800 mhz. and there was no fans in the pc. only 1 cpu fan, and no heatsink. i used that comp for 4 years. no hardware probs at all. only occasional crashes and stuff with windows me. then i upgraded to xp, and it was still slow, but at least no more crashes and soft probs. but the cpu ran at maybe 45-55 C all the time, and no probs at all for 4 years. so, i&#39;d say cpu&#39;s last a lot longer than 2 years [/b][/quote]
    You sure it didnt have a heatsink? Heck even the original pentiums had heatsinks..

Guess your right though.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Ive had mine for over 3 years...566 MHZ CELERON&#33;&#33;&#33; Dont you wish you had one of those running K Lite and all of the latest games for YOU?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+24 November 2003 - 22:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 24 November 2003 - 22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@24 November 2003 - 22:02
    <!--QuoteBegin-clocker
    @24 November 2003 - 21:53
    Yes it is.

Of course, VB1234&#39;s equally valid objection is that over the long run you are probably hurting durability to some extent. Plus, if you do suffer problems, then you have added more factors into the mix.
    Personally, I&#39;m betting that I&#39;ll have a new chip before any side effects show up on this one.

I wonder what the average lifespan of a CPU is for members of the board? Not that posters in this section would be average (or they wouldn&#39;t be here to begin with), but still, it would be interesting to know.

clocker, my old HP pc had a pIII 800 mhz. and there was no fans in the pc. only 1 cpu fan, and no heatsink. i used that comp for 4 years. no hardware probs at all. only occasional crashes and stuff with windows me. then i upgraded to xp, and it was still slow, but at least no more crashes and soft probs. but the cpu ran at maybe 45-55 C all the time, and no probs at all for 4 years. so, i&#39;d say cpu&#39;s last a lot longer than 2 years
    You sure it didnt have a heatsink? Heck even the original pentiums had heatsinks..

Guess your right though. [/b][/quote]
    if it had a hs, it was really thin and small. it did have a duct that led from the cpu fan to the back of the pc. got so dusty and stuff, that not much circulation went through it. plus, the fan was really really really weak. hardly pushes any air.

yea, @ clocker, ur prob rite. most people with ample amounts of &#036; replace their pcs, not just their cpu&#39;s, every 2-3 years. i&#39;m a poor bastard living in a cardboard box.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    A cardboard box with an internet connection.
    Must be a very upscale alley.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast