Thread: Downloads not playing

Hi folks.
    I've just joined up because I have a very strange issue and I don't know what to do about it.
    I've come here because I don't know where else to go or what else to do.
    The issue is this: For a long time, I have been able to download TV shows (primarily in MP4 but now many in MKV) which have played flawlessly on our TV or through the USB slot on our Blu-ray player.
    But earlier this year, for some reason nearly all the shows I got just wouldn't play in either machine.
    I thought I had tracked the problem down to being a matter of video fps (our equipment only likes 20 to 30 fps), so I'd convert them using HandBrake and away we'd go.
    Now, I check every download to see what its framerate is, and even if it's within those limits (it's normally 23.976 fps) ... nope, no go.
    I even re-encoded some of them in HandBrake so the fps was within those limits, but still no luck!
    What I want to ask is, does anyone know whether uploaders/encoders have changed the way they do things or how they're encoding these things so that they become more problematic?
    Or has there been an announcement somewhere that I haven't seen or something?
    It's really frustrating, because I thought I'd fathomed it out, only to be caught again.
    Anyway, advice or thoughts would be welcome.
    Regards,

scoopyx.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    can you see any information in logs of the player if you run it through on the laptop - does it work ok on the laptop?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    bluray machine probably updated to block non-certified .mkv and\or .mp4 this happened to my Sony Bluray player.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Hello again folks, and thank you for the responses.
    I actually think I've been able to figure this out (!!!)
    Our equipment appears to not like either the AC-3 audio codec (all the time) or the MKV container (some of the time).
    Regarding the laptop, no, I hadn't actually done that - hadn't thought of it, actually.
    But I guess it's now basically moot anyway, because if I run things through HandBrake with settings that I am certain will work on our equipment, everything seems to be happy.
    I just make sure it's set to output to MP4, the audio codec is AAC and the FPS is within the limits of our equipment, and away we go.
    I still don't know for certain what changed from before, but I'm not complaining.
    My wife (and me, to a lesser degree) can now watch the shows we want to.
    Thanks for everything folks, and I'll be back.
    Regards,

scoopyx.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Good to hear you got it working.