Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are some of your favorite classic video games?

Super Mario Bros 3 / Super Mario 64

2. Games   -   #32
    I had an Atari 400 as a teen (paid for with my first term UNI grant- back in those impossible days we were paid to go to uni). At the time it had the best GPU (before they were called that) ever witnessed, yet sadly the vastly inferior C64 was the mega hit.

But it gave me my first experience of classic arcade gameplay, cos of its flawless scrolling, sound system and colour system. There was a dev called Synapse Software that did ORIGINAL arcade style titles, and on the Atari (and only on the Atari- the other system ports were rotten) each of their games was an instant classic for me. The games are little remembered, since their ports to systems with terrible graphic hardware (like the C64) lost every bit of their charm. The PC ports, in CGA 'colour' were particularly dreadful (tho probably sold more copies).

Games like: Shamus, Necromancer, Nautilus and Picnic Paranoia. They were particularly skilled at sprites in character set methods. Remember neither the Atari 400/800 or Amiga or C64 did hardware sprites correctly. Only when Nintendo and Sega started doing consoles were hardware sprites correctly implemented. The American problem was that basically one guy was responsible for all the graphic chip design (at Atari and Commodore), and he didn't get how arcade machines implemented sprites.

But the Atari home computers were a big hit with coders cos of their best-of-class hardware sub-systems, and games desigined first for Atari 400/800 hardware looked and felt amazing.

Couple of years later I had an Amiga (and Atari ST which did all graphics in software), but never felt the same way about games on that system.

Two Atari games really grabbed my time. M.U.L.E. is a 4-play (the Atari had 4 joystick ports) board game of rightfully legendary reknown. And 4-player RPG adventure Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.

Dungeon Master blew my mind on the ST.

And then of course, iD's first Wolf and Doom on the PC.

3. Games   -   #33
    Popeye

4. Games   -   #34
    From the arcade I liked Phoenix. I used to play a C64 game called M.U.L.E all the time with my friends.

5. Games   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    Well, he did say "a list of my 10 favorite classic PC games" in his opening line...
    To be honest Cabby, I never payed attention to the actual post but the Header of the Tread??

Just like the occasional bickering of the rules on the word games, most of the time i don't pay attention, and usually just followed Bigboab's lead (may he rest in peace and is really missed!!). What happens if there was 200 posts in this tread already?? Do you go back to the original posts??
    And i guess being my age, when i started playing video games, there was no such public, or personal computer invented yet

Attachment 182311

Not sure if you like this game in the younger days Idol??, but i figure it is a kill everything around you thing
    Attachment 182312
    Galaga and Robotron 2084. Favorites from my childhood.

6. Games   -   #36
    All variants of Mario Kart - one of the best franchises ever!

7. Games   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by srender517 View Post
    From the arcade I liked Phoenix. I used to play a C64 game called M.U.L.E all the time with my friends.
    Sword of Fargoal on C64 was great. Jump Man Jr. also.

8. Games   -   #38
    Quake 3 Arena, Command & Conquer: Renegade, Vectorman, Mortal Kombat.

9. Games   -   #39
    What about DND and its numerous sequels

"I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

10. Games   -   #40
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    My favorite has to be Tempest. First stand-up arcade game I ever really connected with. So simple in its design, but the unique spinning control knob worked perfectly to make it fast-paced and fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast