Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Hidden Folders

acualy there all the exact same program they just come with more and more options as u go up but ur right the one called pro is the workstation version with the fewest options

i got a speachal version that has all of them execpt data center server on 1 cd all the difrent types use the same set of cabs to install they just use diffrent setups to install the options and configurations prity cool realy

the main reason i still use win98se is for dos compatablity i just can give up the os i grewup with besides i still use some of my dos progs but rarely and i do use my bats to do a lot of stuff still but then a gain i wouldnt use win 3.11 at all i hated windows till 95 came out guess im just a dos man at hart
    but for the genral public win2000 is just not a frendly os its too easy for them to mess it up
    my server is a wi2k server as a mater of fact but i dont use it for much besides network verafication and proxy and file share and such i dont use it for my every day stuff it just sit and runs all the time has yet to ever crash last time i looked it had been up like 240 days

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    It isn't as stable as win 2k or 98.
    Isn't as stable as 98? How people will lie to just make an argument. XP is as stable, if not MORE stable, than 2k. When I had 98, I would get 2-5 blue screens a day. Now that I have XP pro, I have gotten the blue screen a total of 1 time since installing it (that was in back in October, so about 4 months).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by Supernatural@14 February 2003 - 10:32
    Haven't you guys ever heard of Windows XP?!?!?!

It's possible to veiw the hidden folders without having to "search" for them. In the folder options, make sure hidden folders are veiwable. And it's perfectly safe to delete temp files. I don't think it's such a good idea to delete the actual folders themselves, like Quietsilence said.
    ya and if MS ever gets it too work right i might even use it but i dought it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I'll admit to XP's only drawback is it's size. But a price has to be paid for fancy visuals.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Leech_Killer's Avatar Poster
    XP Pro is definitely a lot more stable than 2K, 2K started out life as NT5 but with the millennium just around the corner Microsoft renamed it. It was supposed to be a joining of the NT4 base software and 98/ME, but all they managed to was have a common OS with all of the bugs from both. To date XP Pro is the best they’ve so far come up with, it still has bugs in it but far less than the previous OS’s they’ve produced.

Datamore,
    Your best bet would be to use a piece of software that deletes these files automatically for you, like Evidence Eliminator. The directories themselves if deleted will just be regenerated next time you boot up. If you download the 30 day free trial of EE version 5.057 you can turn it into a full registered version with this:-

Serial :Evidence Eliminator v5.057
    Name: bill gates
    Code: EE50-9500D8513560

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    To all the folk in this topic who say XP is the best & most stable version of windows to date then tell me why there is over 130mb of updates to make XP work reet???

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Leech_Killer's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Grim@14 February 2003 - 14:17
    To all the folk in this topic who say XP is the best & most stable version of windows to date then tell me why there is over 130mb of updates to make XP work reet???
    Windows 2000

Service pack 1: 0.3Mb
    Service pack 2: 106Mb
    Service pack 3: 131Mb
    Security rollup pack: 173Mb
    SQL server service pack: 52Mb

Total____________462.3Mb

and thats without even touching the 1782 patches to make it run how it was supposed to.

You say XP has 130Mb of updates thats child's play compared to Microsofts other operating systems. Also you tell me of a OS thats on the market that doesn't have some problems with it.

To date I've used:-

Unix
    Solaris
    Windows 3.1
    Windows 3.11
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows 98SE
    Windows NT3
    Windows NT4
    Windows ME
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP/Pro
    Linux

Solaris was by far the best but XP comes a close second.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by Leech_Killer@14 February 2003 - 06:54
    XP Pro is definitely a lot more stable than 2K, 2K started out life as NT5 but with the millennium just around the corner Microsoft renamed it. It was supposed to be a joining of the NT4 base software and 98/ME, but all they managed to was have a common OS with all of the bugs from both. To date XP Pro is the best they’ve so far come up with, it still has bugs in it but far less than the previous OS’s they’ve produced.
    Win2k was never sposed to be a merger of 9x and the NT kernel... That's more along the lines of what M$ is touting XP as being...
    Win2k is just an update to NT4, hence why it's called NT5 and XP is called NT5.1, so it's really not a merger of 9x and the NT kernel either, is just a little update to Win2k (much like ME was to 98)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Originally posted by DataMore@12 February 2003 - 18:50
    I have Windows 98SE and it really pisses me off to see all those hidden folders in the Temp folder or Temporary Internet Files folder.
    There is no way to get to these folders unless you search for them in 'Search Files & Folders' or use the browser's address bar.

My question is: can I completely wipe out all these files and folders?
    I seem to be a little confused here. I purposely "hide" folders that I don't want a computer illiterate person to find. I you run a search, my hidden folders have never come up. This is obviously a bad way to hide anything, but am I wrong that they won't come up unless you go to folder options an click the option for " show all files"?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    The folders are only being hidden from "explorer" which is seperate program used to browse system directories. You can't hide files from the OS itself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast