Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anti-virus Programs?

summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    anyone use grisoft avg?
    I do, its great, user friendly and if you have the settings right it will do al the work, easy install, auto scan, auto update etc. And most important, its free Had norton, McAfee, norman, but i will stick to AVG ow yeah.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    geprobert's Avatar Poster
    I'm not 100% sure about AVG... I used it, and once it had the 'latest' virus defs (1st of the month) it wouldn't let you update it until an entire month had gone by.

I use Norton AV and when Auto Update in enabled it downloads at least once a week... I remember when the last big virus alert happened (bugbear?) Norton downloaded new defs about twice a day! Another good point about Norton is Symantec's generousity... they give you a year's free subscritions, but if you re-format your HDD and re-install Windows (as I do every now and then) it resets your subscription status - I've had the same copy for 18 months now and never had to resubscribe. Even if it did run out, you can download the updates manually at the Symantec Security Response website - which is an excellent resourse too.

I think that using 2 separate programs is definitely a good idea, too - when I used AVG I also used F-prot - which is old fashioned, yes, but it has found things that: Norton didn't, AVG didn't and even the special Virus 'cleaning scripts' (e.g. Kak cleaner) didn't. I guess I just like it because I like to look back to the DOS past with a rose-tinited view! If anyone is interested in F-prot (&#33 look at:

http://www.claymania.com/f-prot.html

all the best everyone...!

P.S. - also, I have heard that Norton is a pain when using Outlook (& Express) - as it sits in between you and your mail server and can mess things up. But then I use Yahoo with 2 POP addresses - and Yahoo has Norton protection too

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    imported_uncle_cracker
    Originally posted by sim one@13 February 2003 - 14:08
    Norton AV
    "Free"ware version available on Kazaa now.

i also use nav - very good indeed

cu

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    imported_computerfreak76
    ive been using norton antivirus for 5 years.

it is the best and probably will always the the best antivirus software.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    imported_uncle_cracker
    Originally posted by RPerry@16 February 2003 - 04:18
    I use 2 Anti-viruses. Norton System works, which auto loads and is set up with auto-protect, and Ontrack system Suite, which I run periodically but does not auto start. Have found that one Anti-virus doesn't catch everything, and some programs are never included on others. (such as security trojan programs) I just feel better running the two instead of just one.
    same i do

nav2003 and sys suite from ontrack.

another good vir prog is from kaspersky labs.

cu

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    nav2003, haven't really tried anything else Never had problems with it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    insanebassman
    I use Tren Micro's PCCillin. They also have a free online scanner/cleaner.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

I use Norton on my livingroom machine and it is a hog, I use PCCilllin on the laptop and office machine and it seems better.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    I use norton Antivirus Pro, never feild me yet

(check for updates often)

I also use avg, but thats like an okey program

my other things i use is :

the cleaner
    antitrojan

those are for trojans but they sometimes can pick up other virus.....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Poster
    Get Norton Anti-Virus 2003 Professional. Works great and it come with more features than the standard one does. I use it and i love the auto-protect.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    SideSwiped's Avatar LB 3880
    Norton's good, got AVG too, but you know that you can go to symantec or trend for free online scans. The only problem I've seen with trend and Norton is with some worms. Opaserv is a bastard to get rid of and Norton couldn't kill it, neither did Trend's housecall, just said .......yup it's there, tried to quarentine but no go, had to go to kapersky to find a manual removal page. an av is good yes, but I trust you're also running a decent firewall.

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash, and it's gone.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast