Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where Can I Get Win95?

So freedomseeker, do you still want win95? I have it zipped up and ready in a 45mb zipfile, all you need do is extract it and copy onto a cd. you will of course need a copy of dos bootdisk, i can also supply this. If you do, i really hope you have a fast connection. Please let me know.

BK

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Poster
    I am sadder than all of you. I remember working in dos. Still do sometimes to be perfectly honest.

I also remember using computers with one, yes one, floppy and no hard drive. The disks were indeed floppy at that time. You booted dos, then you replaced the disk with the utility. When you wanted to save files you put a third floppy in. Everything was done in active memory. Feck we had to set the date and time every time we switched them on.

I remember the first computer I used with 2 floppy disks. Known as A and B. One for program and one for data. That was a boon. It was firmly believed that no home user would ever have a need for a hard drive.

Then I remember the first time I used a computer with a hard drive. 370mb would have been enormous at that time. In fact no-one could have imagined it even existing. They still had 2 floppy disks though. The two floppies being called A and B is why the hard drive has always been known as C:

The first really useful set up was dos 6.2 with windows 3.11 as the gui. Before anyone gets smug, dos is still in everything up to and including me. It is only when the NT kernel merged with the win 9x interface that we got xp.

Cheers and thanks for the walk down memory lane.

JimF

3. Lounge   -   #23
    I don't remember any of the specs but the first computer I ever used was some Data General PC. One of the few they ever produced. I had a DG portable as well. It was the size of a briefcase and it even had a handle.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Hey, on that subject, my mouse is at the end of the mouse pad. Does anybody have a larger mouse pad that I can buy?

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by jobes@17 February 2003 - 00:32
    Hey, on that subject, my mouse is at the end of the mouse pad. Does anybody have a larger mouse pad that I can buy?
    Top Post

Cheers

JimF

6. Lounge   -   #26
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Originally posted by jimf
    The first really useful set up was dos 6.2 with windows 3.11 as the gui. Before anyone gets smug, dos is still in everything up to and including me. It is only when the NT kernel merged with the win 9x interface that we got xp.
    dos is still sitting under all windows os's even xp. they just do not want you to know about it.
    linux under windows

I used to have just dos 6.1 that rocked i could do almost nothing with it but program. i had to steal the pascal compiler from a shop coz £89 was just way to much for me to pay at the time.

im to tired to make the zip. I will do it tomorrow evening and pm you the hash.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Yes I remember my first encounter with DOS, have no idea what version it was, but it was first at later years in school, around '87 to '89, and then later in college about '90 or '91. A & B drive Yes, the 3.5" floppy was in then, but at school the floppies were larger and, well of the bendy kind

I had wanted to go onto college and do IT there, it never happened though, just wondering what the hell I would have made of UNIX at that time. Mind you I dont know what to make of it now to be honest.

It's possible they had hard drives on the computers, but I just dont remember. There was certainly no mention of Windows back then.

BK

8. Lounge   -   #28
    You would like this web page. Notice that Strong Bad is using a 386 and he sure knows how to use it!
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Poster
    Look in your local newspaper for the next computer show. I saw Win95 for less than $20.00 at a computer show in my town. Look on eBay, shipping must be pennies. Look in the trash dumpsters of major office buildings or schools, you'll find something.
    -----

I have a low-end 486 laptop (I use it as a deluxe typewritter) with 32MBram. I put a 2.5GB hard drive in it and Windows98SE on it and an optical mouse. Works great with 56k modem. No crashes, slow-downs or any problems. Win95 worked good on it too (a bit faster too).

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Poster
    Look in your local newspaper for the next computer show. I saw Win95 for less than $20.00 at a computer show in my town. Look on eBay, shipping must be pennies. Look in the trash dumpsters of major office buildings or schools, you'll find something.
    -----

I have a low-end 486 laptop (I use it as a deluxe typewritter) with 32MBram. I put a 2.5GB hard drive in it and Windows98SE on it and an optical mouse. Works great with 56k modem. No crashes, slow-downs or any problems. Win95 worked good on it too (a bit faster too).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast