Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddam Hussein Captured

Poster
    [i]Originally posted by uNz@14 December 2003 - 15:58
    I do suspect now that even though Saddam won't be going to The Hague for his trial, it's quite likely that The Hague will go to Saddam...
    That is a good point, however also see my last.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10

It'll be interesting to see if this stops all the attacks troops in Iraq. Maybe this will reveal all of the elusive Weapons of Mass destruction (I heard a while back that there were supposed to be dumps of such things in the western parts of Iraq). I guess he'll be tried in an Iraqi court but there may be U.S influence in the overall decision.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    FatBastard
    They have a full judicial system in Iraq, it's just been abused over the years. This should be a trial that the US does not take part in, if they do it will be a big mistake. The new Iraqi government should be in place in 18 months, Sadam's trial could take longer than that to come up. I agree with JPol, it should be open, and transparent, just as you would expect in any civilised country.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    If Saddam was living in a six by eight hole in the ground I suspect he is probably fairly glad he has been caught. I think that might have become rather unpleasant over the coming winter months for an elderly man used to gold taps and feather beds .

It would also suggest that he has little to do with the continued bombings and attacks, as six by eight holes in the ground don't tend to make for great command and control centres. If one were to be totally pessimistic one could take the view that this simply opens up the field for other power groups in Iraq and that the attacks and internecine warfare will carry on. No doubt we will not have long to wait to find out.

As the overwhelming bulk of Saddam's crimes were carried out in Iraq the matter should be resolved in that country, although I daresay the Iranians would love to get their hands on him. He was, after all, responsible for the Iran/ Iraq war in which over a million people died. Almost all his attempts to develop WMD stem from this war and the chemicals he did develop were used in this war (icluding the attack on the Kurds who he felt were helping the iranians make cross border attacks). We in the west actually have little to gripe about as he has not been implicated in any attacks on us. It will be interesting to see if the Iranians and their very legitimate grievances are given any credence in any trial that takes place: although the evidence presented by the defence could prove embarrassing for Western governments and business corporations.

I don't believe any of the other most wanted individuals have been removed from Iraq so the chances are Saddam will be held in Iraq for a future Iraqi judicial system to deal with (with the hope he might peg it before it comes to anything substantive).
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    FatBastard
    Originally posted by Biggles@15 December 2003 - 00:27
    .... although I daresay the Iranians would love to get their hands on him. He was, after all, responsible for the Iran/ Iraq war in which over a million people died.
    The US was responsible for the war on Iran, not Iraq, they were just a tool. The US financed them through Gulf State's banks, and supplied them with weapons through other Middle Eastern countries. This is well documented.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    J'Pol - Yes, I saw your last just after I posted.

Did you see Saddam's face just after the doctor finished with the tongue depressor?
    He knew exactly how much sh*t he's in.

I don't think the "I'm a harmless sick old man" act is gonna fly, somehow.
    He's co-operating and answering questions. He knows the jig is up.

SeK612 - I wouldn't be surprised if the attacks intensify over the next few days. Hope I'm wrong though.

Edit: OMG! Pinned!

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    There is an element of truth in that which is why I said the case for the defence may prove embarrassing.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    w00t w00t w00t w00t

This is great news to wake up to. Along with more snow. hehe..well, more snow means more work (Shoveling)

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Money Fist's Avatar Che-Che get the yayo

take a good look @ the enemy

not so tough, high and mighty now

LOL

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    FatBastard
    Here is a chronology, I don't vouch for it's accuracy or bias, but Google has plenty of other pages on the subject.

Arming Iraq and the Path to War

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast