Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Is An Isp's Isp's Isp ?

Poster
    You might think that's pretty far fetched but I had a "situation" recently, after installing DNS on my own win2k server, I found performance dragging a bit and it was getting harder to stay connected.

Turns out, I had taken over as the primary DNS server for my ISP in this area

Several hundred thousand connections a day were being made through me

I'm really amazed I never got a call on that one but I guess it might have lightened the load on their DNS?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    Originally posted by balamm@26 December 2003 - 04:31
    Turns out, I had taken over as the primary DNS server for my ISP in this area

Several hundred thousand connections a day were being made through me
    how can that happen? how did you find out that their primary dns server was changed to yours?
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    Poster
    It was a fluke chance that I ran ipconfig /all, netstat -a, and a few other utilities all at once. Normally I would only be checking the system security, event, and W3SVC logs for activity.
    I was A bit shocked at what I saw. Thousands of same gateway or same netblock IPs connecting every hour&#33; I Couldn&#39;t figure out why or what they would all be after at first.
    I started checking processes and when I stopped DNS, The connections trickled off. When I restarted it, they slowly picked up again.

Our system is a bit strange though, everyone on this ISP is really on one huge lan. Any server that answers a dns query can become one of the DNS servers. If the primary or secondary become slow, or don&#39;t have the required info, others take over.
    So the ISP and every client on the netblock see my DNS server as equal to/no different from the dns server in edmonton or vancouver. No certificates are required to run DNS services and I&#39;m already authenticated for every other service on this ISP.

I think on the day I caught it, my DNS cache was somewhere over 500mb&#33;

I have a feeling their are some ISP vulnerabilities associated with this setup but it&#39;s unexploited so far.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    spike_055
    Can ISP&#39;s see what sites you visit and what you download?

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #15
    @ Robert00000, you prbably could but i think the fastest data tranfer for wireless atm is like 50mbs

@ spike_055, yeah i got told that they have logs of everything you do

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #16
    Poster
    They can but they can&#39;t usually be bothered. It&#39;s when you piss someone off that you need to worry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12