Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What The Hell?

Poster
    DO NOT low level format manufacturers do this in the factory and if you do and have to send it back under the warranty your screwed they will know AND they don't like it.

I know what your thinking, why didn't I replace the HD aswell right!  So back to the shop it went and £100 lighter in my pocket I upgraded to a new 80g HD.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by Project E&#045;01+3 January 2004 - 11:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Project E&#045;01 &#064; 3 January 2004 - 11:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Sorry for the delayed reply here...

Win2k is bieng installed from CD, and is installing fine. This would suggest that the fault lies with the drivers, not the device itself.[/b]

Yeah it&#39;s working OK when installing with a virtual driver but after the OS is installed it&#39;s using native drivers that would appear to be causing a problem. These are the drivers that would be in use installing any new drivers on CD. Also, I can&#39;t remember ever downloading Windows drivers for a CD; they&#39;ve always been for DOS with my CDROM/RW drives. I&#39;d suspect the drive, it&#39;s cable or memory first. More likely memory (a second stick or high area if only one stick).

Originally posted by Project E&#045;01@3 January 2004 - 11:42
    The problem with a dos dormat is that dos needs to mount the partition to be able to format it. It cant mount NTFS drives, and the format is only going to be reliable at clearing the virus if it is done before anything is loaded from the H.D.D, therefore a low level from the bios is the most secure option.
    Oh yeah, I was forgetting about NTFS in 2K. I don&#39;t know anything about NTFS cos I like to have the option of using another OS to read data if something untoward happens. I thought that DOS can see an NTFS partiton but not read/write it... doesn&#39;t matter anyway&#33;
    Even so, a low-level format is rather drastic. Fdisk to re-partition and then format would do it without risking (as cwctv pointed out) voiding the warranty.

<!--QuoteBegin-Project E&#045;01
    @3 January 2004 - 11:42
    With regard to the trojans - norton didn&#39;t, but symantec did was what he said. I wont repeat the rest. [/quote]
    My bad, he&#39;d talked about Norton and Symantec and I got befuddled
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies&#33;

I know I didn&#39;t have to change all of the hardware but I&#39;ve had my PC for 2 years so it needed upgrading anyway.

It&#39;s possible that the Veitcong disk could be damaged, I never put disks back in their cases (my bad) and the Max 5.exe from Kazaa Lite could be corrupt. I&#39;ve tried installing other things without any problems.

Everything is still sluggish (including typing this) and a friend advised me to check the Task Manager. When I click on Processes theres a program there using up 99% of my CPU called SERVICES.EXE Theres another SERVICES.EXE on the list using up 0%. When I try to end this process it says &#39;This is a critical system process, Task Manager cannot remove this&#39;. I assume this is whats slowing down eveything, what shall I do?

Also, are the cyclic redundancy errors that occur (when I try to install certain disks) hardware or software problems?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by 121@5 January 2004 - 18:58
    Also, are the cyclic redundancy errors that occur (when I try to install certain disks) hardware or software problems?
    I can&#39;t help with the services.exe thing but I can tell you I only have one instance running, not two.

The cyclic redundancy errors are, AFAIK, a file integrity error that pops up when a file you are copying comes out different to the original. I got some of those when I had a bad stick of RAM; I would only get the problem occasionally (when I had plenty of stuff running) as files got copied into the faulty area of RAM and a corrupted version was written at the destination.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Smurfette,

Thanks for the reply. I&#39;ve heard from several sources that bad RAM can hinder performance and create problems like I&#39;ve been getting&#33;

I think I&#39;ve found the source of the problem&#33; If I had found this and posted about it earlier it would have helped pin point the problem

When I boot my PC I get a small, black DOS window (when the icons appear on my desktop) which dissapears after a few seconds. I rebooted my PC a few times to write down the information in this window,

(C:&#092;Documents & Settings&#092;Bruce>cd drivers&#092;etc&#092;

The system cannot find the path specified

C:&#092;Documents & Settings&#092;Bruce>hidden 32.EXE SERVICES.EXE)

SERVICE.EXE is the program thats eating up all of the CPU performance in Task Manager&#33;

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by 121@6 January 2004 - 01:17
    Smurfette,

Thanks for the reply. I&#39;ve heard from several sources that bad RAM can hinder performance and create problems like I&#39;ve been getting&#33;

I think I&#39;ve found the source of the problem&#33; If I had found this and posted about it earlier it would have helped pin point the problem

When I boot my PC I get a small, black DOS window (when the icons appear on my desktop) which dissapears after a few seconds. I rebooted my PC a few times to write down the information in this window,

(C:&#092;Documents & Settings&#092;Bruce>cd drivers&#092;etc&#092;

The system cannot find the path specified

C:&#092;Documents & Settings&#092;Bruce>hidden 32.EXE SERVICES.EXE)

This is what is eating up all of the CPU performance in Task Manager&#33;

All replies are appreciated
    I don&#39;t know if services.exe is a core windows file, there is a possibilty it could be some kind of virus/trojan.

My advice would be to re-install windows, but before you install anything else press CRTL ALT DELETE to see if services.exe is within the running processes of windows.

Next install the virus scanner and the firewall, then get updates from microsoft. Update your virus definitions and any software upgrades of virus scanner and firewall.

If services.exe is within the running processes you should get another copy of win 2000 or upgrade to windows xp (i would recommend you do this anyway).

It was unlikey that it was a hardware problem, it very rarley is. Most crashes are cause by driver probs. If you go to a retailer for help, it is in his interest to sell you parts you don&#39;t need .

I had a friend who once built a system. He thought he put all the components in perfectly, but couldnt figure out why the computer didnt boot up. He went to a local retalier, who sold him a new motherboard, saying his was faulty.

Two days later he brought the system over to me to check, including the old (supposedly faulty) motherboard. He told me how he plugged in the components and the connectors he left out because he thought they weren&#39;t neccessary.

It soon dawned on me the reason the system didnt boot up was because he didnt plug in the connector to the power switch, so how the hell did he expect to get it switched on .

So the moral of this story is you will be taken advantage of by these dodgy retailers if you don&#39;t know what the problem is yourself.
    Robert00000

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    For task programs check Here. I also have only 1 services.exe rinning at 1,600. If you look at that link I posted there is a virus that can infect that service.exe called the Backdoor.Xibo virus.

I heard that norton can cause problems with the write memory file...

Good Luck Man you need it...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Thanks guys,

My PC dosen&#39;t shut down when I press CRTL ALT DELETE It works for me on other PCs.

So the system.exe is a fundamental windows program that controls everything and I&#39;m getting a DOS message every time I boot my PC saying that a cd driver / system.exe is missing. The Task Manager is showing me that system.exe is using up all of the CPU and is causing a severe bottleneck. I remember I time when the Task Manager displayed the System Idle Process at 99%.

I guess it&#39;s time to reinstall windows but my the F**K should I if I paid good money to fix the dame thing I can&#39;t send it in to repair because of uni deadlines&#33; When ever I go into that shop, they sit around eating sandwiches and ask if you need help 3 minutes later&#33;&#33; I can&#39;t take it else where yet because it&#39;s still under their warranty (rant over).........

Norton has recognised a Trojan Horse in my Kazaa Lite K++ shared files folder. It&#39;s one of those download.dat files you get with everything you download. I cannot delete it and nor can Norton. I&#39;ve noticed I&#39;ve been getting the virus/trojans ever since I downloaded Kazaa in the first place. But if you haven&#39;t got Kazaa then theres no point having a broadband subscription&#33;

Using Kazaa is like having unprotected sex every night of the week with different women

The thing is, my friends never have the viruses/trojans I get on a daily basis, has someone got it in for me or what? How many times will I have to reinstall Windows? Am I the only one that gets these constant, aggressive, random attacks or is this common place?

Why the f**k do weirdos make these viruses anyway???????????

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    i may be a bit paranoid but i do 3 online scans every week along with avg running on my system with all updates , also i use 2 trojan remover progs along with adaware and spybot . i think u will have to format its the best thing in your case if u ask me
    Open your mind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12