Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Your Firewall Stop This?

Originally posted by Samurai@11 January 2004 - 07:16
    Out-Bound Protection eh? Ok, when I've run that file that was downloaded and gone through the whole process, not once does it even enter my list of applications using the Internet.

I already know it's using IE after a couple of tests, but we can't just disallow using IE because of this fact.

Thats because it hijacks any process running on your computer at the time and if youve already told Internet explorer it can access the net then this test will"hijack" that process and access the net because youve previously told it(IE ) that its allowed to...Internet explorer isnt gonna tell you its been hijacked and your firewall is just doing what youve told it too previously

And if Internet Explorer isnt running at the time of the test watch how many other processes it hijacks

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #42
    Poster
    i passed (i think) the program came up with a error so i terminated it

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #43
    Poster
    i keep getting this error so i guess i pass

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #44
    If ya firewall didnt stop it you didnt pass, as it tests your firewalls outbound security..it doesnt test for errors...lmao

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #45
    Poster
    i failed pcaudit and firehole with ZA Pro! what can i do to make ZA more secure without switching firewalls?

EIDT: i think i know why i failed firehole... i checked do not show alert again when IE6 opens up. but i still dont know y i failed puaudit!

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #46
    Poster
    Originally posted by Samurai@10 January 2004 - 17:17
    Well we haven't heard from anyone using Zone Alarm & Pro users so maybe that's one. Possibly BlackIce is another.
    zone alarm pro failed me
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #47
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    what's it mean if the IP they say you're on isn't the IP you're on?
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #48
    Did ya wall pass or fail?

I tried with my online banking and i tried a txt document from "My Documents" and either way the test first tried to hijack my browser, then when that failed proceeded to attempt to hijack every running process on my computer in an effort to connect to the net
    this test is designed to test your firewalls outbound security and as you can see from the thread theres some pretty shocking results B)

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #49
    OK here are my test results.

Oldish version of Kerio (the one similar to the old Tiny): Failed
    Sygate Pro: Failed
    Zone Alarm: pass!

I have to make an admission here, DVD_PIRATE did PM me and tell me that Zone Alarm would pass

The reason some of you have failed the test with ZA is because you havent enabled component control.

Go into ZA options and click on Program Control. Set the slider to high or click custom and tick both boxes.

Then click on the programs tab in the top right and see which programs are allowed access to the net. Right click on each of these programs and select options. Make sure "Authenticate components" is ticked.

Now run the test again. You will get loads of warnings, say no/deny all of them.

If everything went according to plan you will have passed the test!

We should all be thanking DVD_PIRATE for this info, we've all been sitting behind our firewalls feeling safe when they've been abouit as much use a chocolate fireguard! I'm certainly feeling very grateful anyway

Originally posted by DarthInsinuate
    what's it mean if the IP they say you're on isn't the IP you're on?
    It means that your connection is going through a proxy server, this might be set in the Internet Options in Internet Explorer or it could be your ISP putting all your connections through their own proxy server.afaik they usually do this for dialup users to speed up their net access.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #50
    Thank you for the very thorough and informative post..
    congratulations..
    remember people I only told him it (Zone Alarm) would pass, so full credit to Leftism for figuring it out

Now if only someone would turn up with the other 2 firewalls that I know have passed I'll be a happy camper...

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast