Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Big Is Your Pagefile?

muchspl2
    More than you can afford, pal

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by shn+21 January 2004 - 21:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 21 January 2004 - 21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@21 January 2004 - 20:16
    no it doesnt mess anything up, as long as you have enough free ram then you dont need one at all and can get a big performance boost.
    On the contrary its best to have one. Not having one and not having enough memory can cause invalid page fault errors among other things. [/b][/quote]
    which is why i said as long as you have enough memory

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    I read somewhere that a roaming pagefile isnt as effective as having a static swapfile.
    the article went on to explain, in more detail than I will, that if you set a pagefile on its own partition(with nothing else on the partition) youll get better performance
    It recommended having a 3-to-1 ratio (3 times the amount of ram) so in my scenario, I have 2GB of ram so i make my pagefile 6GB.
    I dont really notice too much difference, soon as I can afford another gig of ram I&#39;ll probably turn off my pagefile all together

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    slightly off topic, but how much increase in performance will a ram drive give?

I&#39;ve heard it makes the system less stable, is this true?

A friend of mine is considering buying over a gig or ram and wants to run windows off it. Is this a good or a bad idea?

EDIT: Almost forgot my pagefile is 922MB.
    Robert00000

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    In my opinion those ram drives(and ram cleaners) are useless..
    If youve got a lot of ram (1gig or more) than you can tell Window&#036; not to page it to disk, but keep it in physical memory..Performance is varying I suppose on your system specs etc

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+21 January 2004 - 20:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 21 January 2004 - 20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by shn@21 January 2004 - 21:20
    <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004
    @21 January 2004 - 20:16
    no it doesnt mess anything up, as long as you have enough free ram then you dont need one at all and can get a big performance boost.

On the contrary its best to have one. Not having one and not having enough memory can cause invalid page fault errors among other things.
    which is why i said as long as you have enough memory [/b][/quote]
    There is no such thing as "enough" memory. My alienware mj-12 has three gigs of ram and it still needs more IMO.

It also depends on the o.s. your using. Windows has never been great at managing memory. It was born a resource hog...........greedy and wanting to eat up everything in site........including memory. Sort of reminds me of Bill Gates.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    if you have like 1 gig of ram and only a few hundred mb are used then you have lots free. lets say 700 free. my page file is usually around 200-250mb used so that can all sit in my ram and i still have half my memory free plus better performance.

how could you need more than 3 gigs? what do you ave running on that thing.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    My mates computer is a dual P4 processor with room for 6GB of ram (or 12?), it came outa the box like that with at least 15 fans in it(not those tiny ones on top of the cpu heatsink)
    We run our Counterstrike Server of it
    Hes dedicated it a 40GB Hard drive as his pagefile or some shit...
    Jesus, you can never have "not enough memory" with that fu%#ing thing

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@21 January 2004 - 21:23
    if you have like 1 gig of ram and only a few hundred mb are used then you have lots free. lets say 700 free. my page file is usually around 200-250mb used so that can all sit in my ram and i still have half my memory free plus better performance.

how could you need more than 3 gigs? what do you ave running on that thing.
    Its been running Red Hat Linux Advanced server 2.1 for 2 years. It has duel intel xeon processors.

It runs many many services. The vpn server uses up most of the memory. My peers on campus use it to connect to p2p networks since filesharing is not allowed at my school and I live off campus.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    I have mine set to 960MB ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast