Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: User Informations: Ip Addresses

There is nothing to be paranoid about all this.

However I wanted to point certain things out (not paranoid here just pointing out as many of you will notice too)

We should ban the sigs that display ip address. Ofcourse they are display the client side only but if even one of you know how it works you will agree with me. Each time the image is viewed on a page the php page is visited on the server side. I can dump many things out from the visitor through phpinfo and other things you already know, to a file and keep a record of ip adresses of the people who opened this page. Which in this case is whoever saw the sig on this forum. I doubt if vipersig is doing it but it can be done. There are people here who use private signatures to display client ip. They might do this. So just as a precaution in the filesharing community here we should ban the members or whoever using those sigs to display ip.

They are dumb anyways.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    Double Agent
    u can ban it with ur firewall if u know how

banning users using it is REALLY dumb

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@26 January 2004 - 20:17
    u can ban it with ur firewall if u know how

banning users using it is REALLY dumb
    I see the biggest paranoid on this forum using something thats not secured for others. What kind of hypocrisy is that?

Ofcourse i have a firewall. I am also aiming at users who are not aware of this thing and that they also might not have a firewall at all.
    I believe in some forums its already banned. And while making the sig myself i noticed one of the loopholes so wanted to point them out.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    Poster
    Only mods and admins have access to IP information. The webserver logs are disabled due the masses of visitors (many visitors means huge log files which waste space).

I enable another script (if there is a troublemaker) to grab the forwarded for information. This enables me to see a users real IP (if the user is not using more than 255 proxy servers at once).

However, this is not enabled by default and only used if somebody causes troubles and tries to hide his / her identity.

It makes more sense to worry about all the 3rd party signatures which store user information such as IP, browser, screen resolution, OS details and more.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Originally posted by 7thElement@27 January 2004 - 12:36
    It makes more sense to worry about all the 3rd party signatures
    and avatars and user posted images too, even as tiny as a 1 pixel X 1 pixel gif image leaves your IP and agent info on the hosting server

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12