Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gaming, Witch Processor?

Thanks again 4th Gen I am happy, don't have to pay twice the price for everything.

Also i am going to overclock the 2500 to a 3500.

EDIT: One more question, umm when the system requirments don't list AMD on it but just Intel. Will it still work?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 05:57
    Thanks again 4th Gen I am happy, don't have to pay twice the price for everything.

Good luck

Remember that there are differences in every single chip, so you might not get a spectacular overclock on your chip. You should, however, be able to get up to 3000+ or 3200+ clock speeds (~2.2Ghz) without too much hassle. You'll probably want to beef up your heatsink and fan though, if you're going for a big overclock.

Remember to keep up updated
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Yeah i am using this heatsink

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...tion=35-106-031

And the case has 4 fans. SHould keep it cold.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 01:57

EDIT: One more question, umm when the system requirments don't list AMD on it but just Intel. Will it still work?
    Get a system similar to mine, or bigdawg's or abu's and you will run everything fine.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    It depends on the amount of effort you can put into it. For the $$ an Athlon XP 2500+ = $90 USD. With the right education and cooling you can get that puppy up to 2.2 GHz, which should be able to game just about anything.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+31 January 2004 - 07:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 31 January 2004 - 07:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 01:57
    Thanks again 4th Gen &nbsp; I am happy, don&#39;t have to pay twice the price for everything.

EDIT: One more question, umm when the system requirments don&#39;t list AMD on it but just Intel. Will it still work?
    Get a system similar to mine, or bigdawg&#39;s or abu&#39;s and you will run everything fine. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah it is pretty much the same as yours, but whats this "Amd 2500+ @ 11 x 200=2200" (the bold part)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 06:11
    Yeah it is pretty much the same as yours, but whats this "Amd 2500+ @ 11 x 200=2200" (the bold part)
    The "@ 11 x 200 = 2200" is basically a shorthand way of expressing the overclock of the system. The AMD 2500+ comes standard at a clock speed of 1.83GHz. This figure of 1.83GHz is basically the product of a multiplication. The components of the multiplication are the FSB and the mulitiplier (often called the multi).

As standard, the FSB on the 2500+ Barton is 333MHz (though this is actually equal to 166MHz x 2 (due to the fact that we are talking in DDR terms (Double Data Rate))), thus the standard multiplier is (1830/166) 11.

What John has done is basically to increase the FSB of his machine up from 166MHz to 200MHz, resulting in a clock speed of 200 x 11 = 2200MHz
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by 4th gen+31 January 2004 - 07:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4th gen @ 31 January 2004 - 07:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 06:11
    The "@ 11 x 200 = 2200" is basically a shorthand way of expressing the overclock of the system. The AMD 2500+ comes standard at a clock speed of 1.83GHz. This figure of 1.83GHz is basically the product of a multiplication. The components of the multiplication are the FSB and the mulitiplier (often called the multi).

As standard, the FSB on the 2500+ Barton is 333MHz (though this is actually equal to 166MHz x 2 (due to the fact that we are talking in DDR terms (Double Data Rate))), thus the standard multiplier is (1830/166) 11.

What John has done is basically to increase the FSB of his machine up from 166MHz to 200MHz, resulting in a clock speed of 200 x 11 = 2200MHz [/b][/quote]
    I haven&#39;t overclocked a processor before. Is it hard and how would i go abouts doing it? I want 2200MHz

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Well, here you have several experts to walk you through the process. You should always detect the stability of your system at stock settings before overclocking it at all.

If you are good with your hands and a do it yourselfer you are in the right place.

You have some of the nicest people at this forum to walk you through it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by The Wraith@31 January 2004 - 06:22
    I haven&#39;t overclocked a processor before. Is it hard and how would i go abouts doing it? I want 2200MHz
    Depending on what motherboard you have, the actual mechanics of overclocking shouldn&#39;t give you any trouble. To put it simply, all you need to do is to change one number (the FSB) in small increasing increments. You keep on doing this until the system becomes unstable (e.g. crashes, hanging, restarting). Then you just go back down to the next lowest FSB where the system was stable. One of the by-products of overclocking is that essentially you&#39;re making the processor work harder, you&#39;re forcing it to do more work (which is why an overclocked processor should be faster at gaming than a standard processor). This increase in the amount of work will, by definition, lead to an increase in the operating temperature of the system. Depending on the cooling employed in the system (e.g. what heatsink you have on the processor, what fan you have, if you have any case fans) the change in temperature between a stock system and an overclocked system can be very small or conversely very large. If you want to go for a big overclock (which it seems that you do ) then you should invest a bit more money into buying a good quality heatsink. A good quality heatsink will get rid of more of the excess heat &#39;made&#39; by the processor, thus (hopefully) keeping the cpu temp down.
    You should also buy a thermal paste. The purpose of a thermal paste is to create a &#39;seal&#39; between the heatsink and the processor, to allow better heat conduction away from the processor. Using thermal paste will almost certainly void the warranty of your processor (but if you&#39;re wanting to overclock it doesn&#39;t seem like you&#39;re too worried about that )
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast