Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Qos Windows Xp Tweak

Poster
    Still working.

Download speeds highly stable in upper quartile.

No corrupt files so far (note: this may be a red herring but my bittorrent client - Azureus - still identifies and reloads hash fails).

Not on a LAN.

Working 1176Kbs ADSL via a British Telecom reseller using a Connexant Access Runner PCI board producing 90 - 110 Kbps downloads (peak is about 140)

Win XP Home.

AMD Athlon 2600.

Don't panic Capt Mainwaring, I'll dump any corrupt files.
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    from what i have read about qos through cornerpockets link is that it's main use is to help send data from a high speed network like your home network through a smaller pipe like your internet connection.

using qos on a single workstation would be a waste of time since it does nothing.

Originally posted by delphin460
    ok the reason it call qos is that it provides quailty to the downloads and infact is what checks the packets as they come in and if it see a curupt packet, it sends a message to send the packet again
    I think your wrong here since its the tcp/ip protocol suite that does this. all packets have a checksum at the end that is tested to see if the packet is intact or not.

if packets are not sent in time because they are waiting in a long line on your network trying to squeeze through your internet connection, then the connection is droped at the other end. you then have to send another syn packet to start the connection up again.

using qos is adviseable on large networks but can increase performance on small networks if switched off.

@oldjagman single workstation do not require it so it will not make the slightest differnce to you.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    Ta, 4PLAY, that's re-assuring.

Once again we see the "golf" effect in downloading! Make any change to your swing and you will see an instant but unsustainable improvement - seems to work with P2P too!

Still, whatever I've done has made some difference for now so I'm leaving it alone - if it ain't broke I don't intend to fix it.
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    h11g
    thanks... i think it helps a bit...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12