Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Linux - Unix Live Disks

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by LSA@28 March 2004 - 19:59
    I am looking for a live cd for system recovery, one without X preferably.

I have tried R.I.P, it seems ok but I was just wondering what others thought.
    rescue disk

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn+28 March 2004 - 23:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn &#064; 28 March 2004 - 23:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-LSA@28 March 2004 - 19:59

rescue disk [/b][/quote]
    [mafia voice]I got an offer ya can&#39;t refuse, you add slackware and I give you dis - [/mafia voice]

Well knoppix isn&#39;t really what i&#39;m looking for, i&#39;m looking for a disc without X and plenty of system utilities. One that would run well on old computers.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by LSA+29 March 2004 - 09:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LSA &#064; 29 March 2004 - 09:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by shn@28 March 2004 - 23:30
    <!--QuoteBegin-LSA
    @28 March 2004 - 19:59

rescue disk
    [mafia voice]I got an offer ya can&#39;t refuse, you add slackware and I give you dis - [/mafia voice]

Well knoppix isn&#39;t really what i&#39;m looking for, i&#39;m looking for a disc without X and plenty of system utilities. One that would run well on old computers.[/b][/quote]

Code:
    knoppix 2 &nbsp;= Textmode only &#40;runlevel 2&#41;
    Type in knoppix 2 at the boot prompt.

What&#39;s wrong with you............ya n00b. :rtfm: :-"

j/k

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@29 March 2004 - 14:37
    Code:
    knoppix 2 &nbsp;= Textmode only &#40;runlevel 2&#41;
    Type in knoppix 2 at the boot prompt.

What&#39;s wrong with you............ya n00b. :rtfm:&nbsp; :-"

j/k

What do you expect from a n00b like me?

--------------------

Knoppix has too much extra stuff that I won&#39;t use, the only thing i&#39;m interested in downloading are the utilities. Maybe i&#39;ll order it and try it out

The following "Highlights" are available in version 3.3 of this Debian-based (www.debian.org) CD:

&nbsp; &nbsp; * Linux-Kernel 2.4.x
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * KDE V3.1 as the standard desktop with K Office and the Konqueror WWW-browser konqueror
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * X Multimedia System (xmms) an MPEG-video, MP3, Ogg Vorbis Audio player and xine
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * Internet connection software kppp,pppoeconf (DSL) and isdn-config
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) Version 1.2
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * utilities for data recovery and system repairs, even for other operating systems <--- All I need
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * network and security analysis tools for network administrators
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * OpenOffice™, the GPL-developed version of the well-known StarOffice™ office suite
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * many programming languages, development tools (including kdevelop) and libraries for developers
    &nbsp; &nbsp; * in total more than 900 installed software packages with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games
    I just don&#39;t need all of that, I don&#39;t really even need X. I have r.i.p. and I like it, it has all sorts of stuff even a windows password recovery tool. It&#39;s only 12mb and it doesn&#39;t have X. Is this the best choice for a rescue/recovery disc? I would just experiment with different ones but i&#39;m on 56k so I don&#39;t want to be downloading things I don&#39;t need.

BTW, where is the Slackware link in your sig?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Knoppix has been used as the ideal rescue disk for a really long time.

If you really don&#39;t need all that then type in:

Code:
    knoppix 1
    at the boot prompt and that will bring you to single user mode. Initially for a serious rescue that would do the job.

Once again, all the stuff you don&#39;t need like X, xmms, openoffice or any gui apps you can pretty much just not start the program and it might just be the same as not having it on your system at all.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@29 March 2004 - 15:27

Code:
    knoppix 1
    at the boot prompt and that will bring you to single user mode. Initially for a serious rescue that would do the job.

Once again, all the stuff you don&#39;t need like X, xmms, openoffice or any gui apps you can pretty much just not start the program and it might just be the same as not having it on your system at all.
    Ok then i&#39;ll see if I can get it

.99 cents&#33;

http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/c...dtl/product/160

Thanks for the help.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by LSA+29 March 2004 - 15:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LSA &#064; 29 March 2004 - 15:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn@29 March 2004 - 15:27

Code:
    knoppix 1
    at the boot prompt and that will bring you to single user mode.&nbsp; Initially for a serious rescue that would do the job.

Once again, all the stuff you don&#39;t need like X, xmms, openoffice or any gui apps you can pretty much just not start the program and it might just be the same as not having it on your system at all.&nbsp;
    Ok then i&#39;ll see if I can get it

.99 cents&#33;

http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/c...dtl/product/160

Thanks for the help.[/b][/quote]
    Wow thats cheap. I think I&#39;ll grab a couple myself.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Poster
    Looks like a reputable company too
    http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/comments.php

I&#39;m finnaly going to get Slackware

Hey you added Slackware

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Any one tried PCLinuxOS?

Just i read this review and have decided to give it a whirl before I tried knoppix
    Last edited by DanB; 11-05-2004 at 08:33 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Its all going well so far anyway

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast