View Poll Results: Would you like a Linux section to be added into SoftwareWorld?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think Linux is interesting and that this board would benefit from it.

117 83.57%
  • No, I am not interested in Linux and I do not think this board would benefit from it.

23 16.43%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Like A Linux Section

BANNED
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@8 February 2004 - 20:42
    Haha it was ME!

I jsut dont see the point in having an ugly O/S, when you can have a nice VERY stable Windows XP pro. Windows has NEVER crashed on me. I love windows...but I guess the idea wouldnt be bad...I just wouldnt be there haha.
    You really haven't used Linux, have you?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@9 February 2004 - 03:42
    Haha it was ME!

I jsut dont see the point in having an ugly O/S
    UGLY O/S?

Image Replaced
    Click here to view the image

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@8 February 2004 - 21:42
    Haha it was ME!

I jsut dont see the point in having an ugly O/S, when you can have a nice VERY stable Windows XP pro.  Windows has NEVER crashed on me.  I love windows...but I guess the idea wouldnt be bad...I just wouldnt be there haha.
    That was funny.

I actually laughed at that and I don't do that much often

Way to go bigdawgfoxx. Your now the official board comedian.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I think a certain someone is lost on his journey
    It's not attatched to it's gui so it's completely customizeable. You'd know if you tried it.

BTW, all the pretty new eye candy in XP came from Linux/Unix desktop environments (Gnome, KDE), and Macs. Did you see the Longhorn pics so far? There's nothing original in it!

Oh, no one said XP wasn't unstable. At the moment, XP is my OS of choice, pretty stable, but Linux is simply more stable. There's no conflict on this issue if your read a little on it.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    BANNED
    Originally posted by shn@8 February 2004 - 20:52
    That was funny.

I actually laughed at that and I don&#39;t do that much often
    Oh me too

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    hahaha...ok ok...i admit..ive never even seen a freaking picture of the thing&#33; but still..if it looks cool and is more stable..why dont we use it? Is it cuz theres not much software support?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@8 February 2004 - 23:14
    hahaha...ok ok...i admit..ive never even seen a freaking picture of the thing&#33;&nbsp; but still..if it looks cool and is more stable..why dont we use it?&nbsp; Is it cuz theres not much software support?
    Who needs support when you have your fellow board members?

We&#39;ll be glad to help if you have any problems running linux. There are people on this board that know enough about linux to get you started. All you have to do is ask

I find it cool that some people dont even run linux but can still help out and answer general questions. There is nothing wrong with running Windows...........I run Windows myself sometimes, but I prefer linux because it can do more. And what&#39;s an o.s. if you can&#39;t push it to it&#39;s full potential.

Besides, just think how cool you&#39;ll look when all your friends find out you run Linux

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    h1
    Yes. Oui. Si. Da. Akdom.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@9 February 2004 - 05:14
    hahaha...ok ok...i admit..ive never even seen a freaking picture of the thing&#33; but still..if it looks cool and is more stable..why dont we use it? Is it cuz theres not much software support?
    Anyone can check out Linux for free and without altering their system.
    Check out a thread I started on "Live Disks." Don&#39;t install if you just wanna try.
    Live Disk Thread

Hey, Shn, maybe if a LinuxWorld Section is created, this will be pinned.

As for software, there&#39;s an incredible amount of sotware for it, but it&#39;s not as easy to find as Windows stuff. I think Linux still has a way to go before becoming a normal desktop OS, but it can do damn near anything&#33; You can run who knows how many apps for a looooong time without it ever affecing the system because everything is seperate. With windows, everything is integrated, so if one things lags, it can affect the entire system, but it does have it&#39;s advantages if one thinks about it.

OH, and for gaming, Windows is still the way to go. The thing is, Linux and Unix have been doing things for a long time that Microsoft is trying to do now. Like 64-bit proccesing. Been around for a lot longer than some people know. Linux has been there, done that. Windows has recently come out with a Windows XP 64-bit edition beta.

If you&#39;re used to Windows, then Linux may seen to involve more command line then you&#39;re used to (especially installer software [not always]), but many of the newer distros, you don&#39;t need that much, especially the live disks. Unix involves a LOT more command line.

I run a server with Linux, but without a pretty gui, so that one is ugly.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    h1
    Who voted no? Tux will beat your ass into the ground.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast