Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help Choosing Ram For New Board

BANNED
    It do sound strange mate esp' when its the mobo that enables dual channel not the memory.As long as you have 2 matching sticks your set..

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    yah if you get the geil you will save 60 bux towards another set of it.....dont listen to it sayin it had to be a certain brand thats not true i dont believe.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    if ur ocing, make sure u have heatspreaders

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@21 February 2004 - 10:13
    How come?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by clocker+21 February 2004 - 13:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 21 February 2004 - 13:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@21 February 2004 - 10:13
    How come? [/b][/quote]
    look at my sig. running my ram at 2.85 will require a bit of extra cooling, not much, but it&#39;s better if u have heatspreaders

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@21 February 2004 - 10:38

look at my sig. running my ram at 2.85 will require a bit of extra cooling, not much, but it&#39;s better if u have heatspreaders
    Really?

Abu, can you PROVE that heatspreaders actually do anything?
    I have read some pretty convincing articles that state that heatspreaders actually do a better job of containing heat than dispersing it.
    It could be that heatspreaders are more decorative than functional...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you go for a single 512MB stick, you will have the problem of trying to find a matching stick if you later want to go to 1GB dual channel. You may find you will then want to sell that single stick and get a matched pair. So if you are going to have to sell them later anyway, you may as well go for the pair of 256MB sticks.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.microsoulv3.com/asus.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

this is what asus website says about memory, and the QVL list they refer to dont include geil, and the corsair memory is supported, just not in twin dual channel mode.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by clocker+21 February 2004 - 10:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 21 February 2004 - 10:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@21 February 2004 - 10:38

Really?

Abu, can you PROVE that heatspreaders actually do anything?
    I have read some pretty convincing articles that state that heatspreaders actually do a better job of containing heat than dispersing it.
    It could be that heatspreaders are more decorative than functional... [/b][/quote]
    Let me see here. Can I "prove" that heat spreaders dissipate heat better than absense of heat spreaders? I am not sure. Let me try;

What it really comes down to is whether the plastic-like surface that contains the RAM chips dissipates heat better than the metal that covers them. I am pretty sure that the plastic is a poor dissipater of heat, thus a metal surface in contact with the RAM chips will dissipate heat better than without them (provided the air inside the case is cooler than the RAM chips themselves. And when overclocking, cooler is always better...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Memory cooling has become very popular, most notably on video cards. The effectiveness of memory cooling on both system ram, however, is often fuel for lengthy discussions on many internet hardware forums, including our own message board. Does system memory get hot enough to require cooling? Depends on what you consider is hot. My opinion is that memory modules never build up enough heat, to require any sort of cooling. Even when overclocking, they still stay pretty cool. If extra cooling, puts your mind at ease, then go for it, but you can&#39;t necessarily expect better overclocking results or even any extensions in the life of your overclocked / overvolted memory. Premier manufacturers such as Corsair, Mushkin, and OCZ ship their modules with heatspreaders across the chips. They look very nice and are often solid copper or aluminum. A handful of other companies sell ram cooling kits, and other solutions for modules that come without cooling. Ram sinks are pretty much the same as standard heatsinks for graphics chips and CPUs, except they&#39;re a lot smaller and tailored for RAM chip sizes. Tests show these heatspreaders & kits to do VERY little as far as cooling the memory goes. With no real benefit, placing these cooling kits on memory modules is more for looks than for cooling, and that can be appreciated.
    from the tutorial on overclocking and memory at OC.Com...

Again...I understand how intuitively heatspreaders/chipsinks might appear to be useful, but both Abu and Adam seem to assume this as fact.
    Deeper reading at the quoted forum will turn up several people who have achieved higher OCs after removing the heatspreaders. The "theory" is that they are actually retaining heat and causing instability.

These guys have only fractionally better "proof" for this theory than yours, Adam, but at least they have tried a before and after comparison.

I&#39;m not completely convinced either way.
    I&#39;m simply a little leery when something is stated as a "fact" without supporting evidence...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast