Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set Up A Broadband Network

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    buy yourself

1) a router or build one from an old pc
    2) 2 nic cards 100 mbps prefered.
    3) 2 cat5 utp straight cable of the length you require

plug you broadband connection into the router
    plug in the nic cards and run the un-twisted cat 5 utp to the router.

simple

the hub is not really needed unless you have a lot of pc's. they are only really usefull to seperate a large network into blocks.

im doing cisco training at the moment so im gonna try a bit of home networking very soon.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by M|k0r@6 March 2003 - 23:22
    I have a network sharing broadband between 3 pcs in my house, I have a pc in my room that shares the connection from downstairs in my study...

The thing i cannot work is that i cannot send files through MSN messenger OR Dcc send them through Mirc...

Does any1 know how i can solve this problem??

Any help would be appreciated
    you have to forward the ports on your router... your user guide for your router can help you through it.. and as for mIRC or MSN messenger.. go to their respective websites to find the port number

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    so,

connect the router to the 2 pc's using cat5 network cable, and nic's (network cards).
    then config the router

there is a problem. my usb adsl modemis powered by the usb cable. when i turn my pc off (shutdown) the link light goes out. so if i wnated to surf the net with this pc off. will i still be able to sue the net. (when i install the internet software and drivers will i need to insatll them on my new pc as well) i am realy dumb on thei broadband set up thingy. so sory please could some one help.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by wizzandabe@12 March 2003 - 17:52
    so,

connect the router to the 2 pc's using cat5 network cable, and nic's (network cards).
    then config the router

there is a problem. my usb adsl modemis powered by the usb cable. when i turn my pc off (shutdown) the link light goes out. so if i wnated to surf the net with this pc off. will i still be able to sue the net. (when i install the internet software and drivers will i need to insatll them on my new pc as well) i am realy dumb on thei broadband set up thingy. so sory please could some one help.
    If you use a pc as the "router" (I think it would actually be a Gateway) then that PC has to be on for the other pcs on the network to have access to the internet. It will also drain resources from that PC.

The PC connected to the modem will also be visible to the internet (WAN) so make sure you have good firewall protection.

Using a dedicated router is more secure as it acts as a hardware firewall. It can also be left on all the time, so each individual pc can access the internet independent of the others.

This sort of thing

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.as...grid=23&prid=20

Very simple to set up and use. I know some people will disagree, however this is a much better solution than a gateway pc and it is much easier to set up.

Just a pity I cant post a sig for one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12