Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Ntfs File System Better That Fat32

Poster
    Originally posted by the mask@26 February 2004 - 05:17
    in windows xp 'help and support' it actually says that the ntfs format is recommended
    It's not always a good idea to 'listen' to the m$ help/support. Remember, it's the m$ help/support which suggests leaving the XP firewall on
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by Schuler+26 February 2004 - 01:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Schuler &#064; 26 February 2004 - 01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2@25 February 2004 - 22:41
    I read that in a double blind test with same OS and identical computers, ntfs all scored faster than the fat32 computers by people
    I don&#39;t have any sources but I&#39;ve seen places where they say FAT32 is slightly faster than NTFS. But as I said I have no solid proof but I wouldn&#39;t mind knowing for sure. [/b][/quote]
    When I upgraded from 98 to XP, I used Nero to test the read speed from both my hard drives under FAT32. Then I used Partition Magic to convert them to NTFS. When I rechecked my speeds in Nero, they were both slightly faster.

So yes, I recommend switching. I you&#39;re really worried about it, you can use Partition Magic to create a small NTFS partition on your HD first, just to see if you notice any speed difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12