Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Temps Jumped Up Higher Again :(

lynx's Avatar .
    It's an XFX Nforce2 400.

I've used them before and they've been OK. I've checked the chip, it is definitely a K voltage rating, but I suppose it is not impossible that the chip is not sending the right signal to the mobo.

They are both going back tomorrow, my supplier can work out which one is faulty.

If it is the mobo, I'll try to swap it for an Asus A7N8X-X, there is only 6p price difference. That's the board I wanted in the first place but they didn't have any in stock when I got this one.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    what is cpu clk spectrum? i found this in my bios but didnt want to enable it since im not sure what it does. does it relate to my problem?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    It allows the clock to drift a little so you don't get EM emissions. But it can also screw your system if you are OCing because a small drift at base frequency means a much bigger drift after cpu multiplier is applied.

It has nothing at all to do with Vcore so leave it disabled unless you know you have problems with EM emissions.

Edit: just a thought, have you looked for a bios update? Or tried clearing your bios again?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i tried clearing cmos twice and there is one new bios update but im not sure which revision motehrboard i have. (my mobo has a sticker which says revision 7.0 but pulling it off reveals that it is revision 3.0 so im not sure which one it is. and the date that my motherboard says its bios was made is 1\28\03 but there are no bios versions for any of the revisions which has 1\28\03 as a realease date so im lost on which to choose...

i tried underclocking my chip to fsb 100 and it only went down about 3 degrees and still the same voltage...im not sure what to do now there are no jumpers to select voltage so that cant be the problem, and i cant find any bios options relating to any voltages...

but something i did find was a setting for cas latency on my ram. it was set to auto and running cas 3 while my ram is rated cas 2 so i set it to manual and selected cas2, but havent noticed any difference yet. btw, im back to running fsb 133.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Version 030127 5th one down.

But I can't see anything that refers to your problem in any of the later updates.

Have you tried removing your cpu and replacing it? Some of the pins are used to tell the mobo what voltage to use. If there's a speck of dirt got in there it could be the problem.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@26 February 2004 - 21:18
    Version 030127 5th one down.

But I can't see anything that refers to your problem in any of the later updates.

Have you tried removing your cpu and replacing it? Some of the pins are used to tell the mobo what voltage to use. If there's a speck of dirt got in there it could be the problem.
    thanks ill try the update now although i doubt it will help, but it is worth trying. oh i was wrong about it saying 3.1, it actually says 5.2 under the sticker, and 7,2 on the sticker.

ill also try removing the processor and putting it back tommmorrow my friend said i can have the rest of his arctic silver. nice guy.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    well the update went without a hitch but the temps still have not changed.

i now need help with the parallel port settings. in the bios i can choose different things like ECP or something like that im not sure what they are but what is the fastest one with 2 way communication?

edit: my manual says i can use SPP, ECP, EPP, or ECP+EPP, but doesnt explain any of them. can someone tell me which is best?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    ECP+EPP should be compatible with most uses.

If that doesn't work with your printer/scanner drop back to EPP because that is totally backwards compatible with SPP. I've never understood why they include SPP, no-one should ever need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12