Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nic Error

atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    there is a chance that this is a BIOS error but im not too good with networking so...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    You need a crossover cable in order to connect directly to the modem.

Routers are normally wired backwards so you don't need a crossover. By cutting out the router you would need to make to crossover in the cable.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    What is a crossover cable?
    It's not a regular network cable?
    I don't understand what you mean.
    Before I got my router, I was connected directly to my modem with the regular network cable fine without any problems.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Did the cable come with the modem? If so, it may be that it was a crossover cable.

It is easy to tell. Get both ends of the cable and put the plugs side by side (with the clip away from you. Look at the colour of the wires inside the plugs. If the order is the same on both plugs you have got a normal cable. If the left hand pair (pins 1&2) are swapped with the middle pair (pins 4&5) you've got a crossover cable.

You may find that the cable which ran from the router to the modem is a crossover cable, and the one from the router to your pc is a normal cable.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    my cable modem used to be hooked directly to my pc using a regular cable and is now hooked up to my router with the same regular cable so i dont think they use crossover, unless maybe my modem acts like a switch and can flip the connection so u can use any cable.

edit: hmm i just looked at teh cable again to make sure i wasnt wrong about it being a regular cable and the wires are in order but...there are only 4 of them...my other three cables all have like 8 wires or something like that how come this one only has 4?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    My router came with 2 cables. The LAN and the WAN.
    I checked, and found that the WAN cable fits your description for a crossover.
    My modem came with one cable, but the wires for that cable have a regular pattern.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    OK. I decided to try setting it up again the way I had it.

When I plug the cable from my NIC to my modem, through some fluke of naure, it works.
    I am now online through my NIC despite the fact that the light is still amber. I took the USB cable out.

I'm still having a problem with the router because when I connect from my NIC to the router, and from the router to the modem, it still doesn't work.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@26 February 2004 - 21:32
    edit: hmm i just looked at teh cable again to make sure i wasnt wrong about it being a regular cable and the wires are in order but...there are only 4 of them...my other three cables all have like 8 wires or something like that how come this one only has 4?
    The base100TX network only uses 4 wires, 2 to transmit and 2 to receive.

Other systems (including gigabit ethernet) use all 8 wires. So 8 wire cables are usually provided for compatibility with all the systems. But the modem suppliers know they only support base100TX so they save a few pennies per modem by only using 4 core cables.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    OK. Everything is working perfectly. The router, modem, and NIC.
    The light in the back is still amber.
    Is this normal?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by cool skill@28 February 2004 - 17:01
    OK. Everything is working perfectly. The router, modem, and NIC.
    The light in the back is still amber.
    Is this normal?
    that just usally mean its connected at 100mbs, where as if it was off usually mean 10mbs.

soemthing like taht anwyay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast