Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discover

Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by mr. nails@26 February 2004 - 13:27
    uuhhh, discover? all this is is the apextreme that's been out since NAM! they've just changed the name...
    It's been out since the Vietnam War?

2. Games   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@26 February 2004 - 06:52
    I believe you're thinking of the Phantom, which is supposed to play games without any discs or cartridges.  It'll just download them from the internet.

DISCover (what an awful name :x ) is going to play PC games from a CD.  I'm not even sure if they have an internet connection.
    You're sort of right. However, DISCover does require scripts to be updated from the company's servers, in order to be able to "install" new games.

How Are The Scripts Updated?
    Each time a new PC game is launched or about to be launched, your DISCover® console will use an Internet or phone connection to pull down the new script/s. It's a bit like the TiVo® model.
    -----

Best parts, in my opinion:
    Will I be able to play ANY PC game?
    To ensure system reliability and stability of the DISCOver® console and the DISCOver® Arcade gaming network, every game will need to be certified by DISCover®. We hope that all game publishers will want to make certain that their titles are available to all of the DISCover® console customers. We expect to have 2004 games available when the product is launched, and ultimately to have thousands more certified.
    Will the DISCover® play user-created mods?
    Unless the mod is widely used, probably not.
    Will the Apextreme be able to play Half-Life 2?
    According to Gamespy who went up to Valve to check it out: "With all of these considerable graphical upgrades, we were pleased to hear that the minimum system specs are currently targeted at a 700 MHz PC with 128 MB RAM and a DX6-llevel video card, meaning you won't need a NASA supercomputer to run Half-Life 2."
    Translation: Yeah, it'll run... but it'll look like the original Half-Life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12