Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Water Cooling Kit

Originally posted by lynx@27 February 2004 - 12:10
    It is the only one I've seen.
    I think I would want it at the top of my system, with a blowhole mounted directly above.
    Yes that is what I would do, it wouldn't be hard at all to cut a small hole in the top, then I would leave an empty bay underneath and then have my DVD underneath that and then my cd-rw under that, would work nicely
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by atiVidia@26 February 2004 - 16:21

ive got 1 free slot and this is pERfect!!!!!
    You will need more than one open slot for better air flow to the radiator.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    looks tight. i still prefer those koollance ones where u put the whole thing on top of the case. doesn't take too much interior space, and it looks cool, and they perform better than this. same concept, but bigger

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    How is water cooling in general for noise? I assume it must be a lot quieter then a bunch of fans whirring all day, but does it make much noise?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I have seen another kit that is configured this way also.

Based upon my experience with the AquariusIII kit that I received for Xmas, I don't think that temps will be good. The radiator, pump and water lines are all on the smallish side. This really inhibits the ability of the system to dissipate heat.

The only real advantage of an underpowered H2O setup over a decent air rig is that the water system doesn't respond as quickly to changes in room temps. My temps spike when the furnace kicks on and then level out again. With water this doesn't happen as much.
    Even big-time water rigs don't achieve temps much (if any) better than I've finally managed to obtain with air, and they aren't any quieter than mine as they are using big, powerful fans on the radiator.

Now a water system with a Peltier block would be a whole different animal...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've looked into this one a bit further, according to evercool's site the temp range you can set on the front panel is 40C to 79C!!!, which doesn't make the rest of the setup sound too promising. And when I think about it I'm not too keen on having heat coming from the area of the cd/dvd players and burners, they get hot enough without that.

Since you would probably want to have some sort of front panel control system, it makes sense to use the area behind it for the pump. If they were to sell that unit separately (without the internal radiator and with a lower temp range) I think it could be a big hit. They could even give a range of external radiators depending on how cool you wanted to get it.

I suppose the temp range would be ok if you put a peltier in, and measured the temp on the hot side of the peltier, but you would need a much bigger radiator. Now that I've got more info about it, I've gone off the idea of getting one of these. It's a great idea let down by poor execution.

Clocker, you may have seen to wc-101, also by evercool. It only cools the cpu, and rather than having an external radiator it still has a fan on top of the water block. Seems a little pointless to me.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Could be, Lynx.
    Don't really recall...
    I do remember that the unit I saw had the waterfill on the top of the main unit so you had to fill it from inside the case...a hideously risky proposition, I thought.

Units like this I think are more for bragging rights than real effect.
    "Look, MY computer is water cooled!"
    Impress the great unwashed masses, but the temps aren't really very good.

Even the really high-end setups with expensive, quality components don't surpass a good air cooled rig by much ( if at all).
    Lots of money and risk for marginal results, methinks....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    @ clocker: he aquairus that that u got is one of the least powerful wc systems around. i mean, they sell it at microcenter! how good can that be?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    That's very true Abu.
    Now look at the picture in the link of this new system.
    How big can the radiator and waterpump be to fit into the size of a CD-ROM?
    It looks even smaller than the AquariusIII units!

Plus, even with that crap AIII rig I can get better systemps than 40°C (which, I'd be willing to bet, is measured at 0% CPU use anyway...).

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by clocker@28 February 2004 - 11:58
    That's very true Abu.
    Now look at the picture in the link of this new system.
    How big can the radiator and waterpump be to fit into the size of a CD-ROM?
    It looks even smaller than the AquariusIII units!

Plus, even with that crap AIII rig I can get better systemps than 40°C (which, I'd be willing to bet, is measured at 0% CPU use anyway...).
    yea. this looks tight and all, but it's not very powerful.
    1st: crappy pump if it can fit in such small space
    2. the 2nd radiator might be good, but still not enough
    3. just doesn't push enough water man.

does look pretty cool though. i'd still get those big ones that u put over ur case (koolance, etc) they are fairly decent

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast